News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 wheel problem

Started by yelrow, August 28, 2014, 01:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelrow

hi, got a 2-8-0, that was perfect. Suddenly ground to a halt, and when i test it the rear two wheels move in a different direction, to the other six, hence it just rocks. They are joined by a single rod. How do i correct this, thanks, fraser

Doneldon

Quote from: yelrow on August 28, 2014, 01:24:31 PM
the rear two wheels move in a different direction, to the other six

Fraser-

Unless I am reading your post in some screwy way, what you describe is a physical impossibility. Please provide some more explanation. Thanx.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             -- D

yelrow

HI, i dont think so, 6 wheels attempt to turn in the direction of travel, but the rear 2 attempt to go in the opposite direction. they are 180 out of kilter.  its as though the metal bar has allowed them to slip, or one has turned on its axle.

jonathan

While strikingly odd, this is not impossible.  I have seen it before.  If I read you right, possibly the rear driver set (two back wheels) are now oriented to the drive rods are pointed in a funny direction and will not allow the rear drivers to move?  Is this correct?

If so, it's a matter of taking out the crank pins (the screws that holds the drive rods to the wheels), orienting the wheels so they line up with the rest of the drivers and re-attaching the drive rods with the crank pins. The wheels may also need to be quartered (another kettle of fish).

Is this a Spectrum/Standard Consolidation, or the really old Reading-type 2-8-0 from the '80s and '90s?

Regards,

Jonathan

yelrow

hi, thanks the rods are. in my view 180 out of sync, which i think means if the pins were removed, and wheels turned and pins replaced, that should work. At present 6 wheels turn  forward, and 2 back. How do pins come out. Will they just go back in. Dont understand quartering, hope i dont need to. Loco about 12 month ish old, was fine for first hour or so. Apparantly it is a problem that has occurred on other locos, when reversed. I dont think the rods are in a funny direction. john