News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mixing brands

Started by Elnovato, September 02, 2014, 02:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elnovato

Is is OK to run an Athearn locomotive on a DCC Bachmann setup? If so, how do I know if an Athearn locomotive is DCC equipped?

rogertra

Quote from: Elnovato on September 02, 2014, 02:18:21 PM
Is is OK to run an Athearn locomotive on a DCC Bachmann setup? If so, how do I know if an Athearn locomotive is DCC equipped?

Yes, you can run any HO scale DCC loco on any DCC system.  DCC is an international standard.

Is the Athearn loco equipped for DCC?  Ready the label on the box.  :)

Failing that, remove the body and see if it as a DCC decoder installed.

Failing that, put the loco on your DCC layout and listen.  If the motor "sings" with a high pitched hum, it's probably not DCC but try addressing it and see what happens.

I haven't purchased an Athearn DCC equipped engines so I don't know if the loco frame is marked "DCC" or not.

Someone else will help you there.

Cheers

Roger T.

Jerrys HO

Any brand will run on your track. As far as if your Athearn is DCC equipped, if you bought new it would state that on the box. If used you could pull the shell off and see if it has a decoder in it.
If you have already put it on your track and heard a buzzing sound and no movements it's probably dc. Bachmann EZ Command will run a dc loco on function 10, but I strongly do not recommend doing so, long periods of running or idling on the track can cause damage to the motor.
You seem to be a newcomer so might I suggest picking up a book on DCC or search the internet by googling DCC. There is a lot to be learned. Don't think this is an attempt for you to not ask questions for that is what this board is for. Just found a lot of my questions were answered by reading up in my spare time. Although it will not make us master DCC, it will give us a better understanding.

Jerry

Jerrys HO

Roger beat me by 12 seconds. Boy he has fast fingers ;D.
Oh my I told him to google, sorry JB ;D.

rogertra

Quote from: Jerrys HO on September 02, 2014, 02:57:29 PM
Roger beat me by 12 seconds. Boy he has fast fingers ;D.
Oh my I told him to google, sorry JB ;D.

But Google IS your friend.  Most questions can be answered using Google but some people like others to do the legwork for them. 

Not that Elnovato did that here.

Cheers

Roger T.

Elnovato

Thanks again! I bought two Athearn cars and soon after, one of my Bachmann DCC locomotives (the one I was using to haul those cars) stopped moving. Jerry suggested to reset the system, something I will try later tonight. Also, the Athearn couplers sit a bit too high relative to the Bachmann's, and slight level changes on the track lead to unintended separation from the locomotive (I was unable to find anything on this through google). Based on your kind help, the athearn cars/Bachmann locomotive mix fiasco described appears to be a bad coincidence). I was debating whether to buy an athearn dcc locomotive, but on the retail websites it is hard to tell wether they are dcc on board or just dcc ready (or plain dc). Is it usual for the engines to be in need of a "reboot"
You probably know by now that El Novato = The Rookie in Spanish  :)

richg

Get a coupler height gauge and check all your locos and rolling stock.
Read ALL the advertising for a loco. You will see the details. If no mention of DCC anywhere then assume DC only.
Look at the Online Bachmann catalogue as a reference.
DCC Ready or DCC onboard. Maybe DCC with sound. Some are sound locos. Some are not. Have seen a number of times in different forums, some saw DCC onboard and assumed sound also. Some did not have sound.
One brand I will not mention here has DCC with sound but the motor and lights are for DC layout.
There are many variables in DCC.

Too much mention of other brands here is frowned upon.

Rich

Elnovato

I see. Just to wrap it up. If I get a Bachmann with DCC and sound, do I need anything "extra" or it works on my Bachmann EZ Command setup out of the box?

rogertra

Quote from: Elnovato on September 02, 2014, 05:03:41 PM
I see. Just to wrap it up. If I get a Bachmann with DCC and sound, do I need anything "extra" or it works on my Bachmann EZ Command setup out of the box?

I use NCE for my DCC but any DCC throttle with work will any DCC engine.  As I mentioned previously, DCC has international standards.

Cheers

Roger T.

Irbricksceo

Quick Add on, for the sound, if you have the regular ez command as opposed to the Dynamis, you will not be able to make use of all the features and CV values since it's a very basic system however you will have the fist 10 functions and baisc sound.
Also, the low amperage output of the basic unit w/o booster will not support more than two sound locomotives at any given time so mute extras when not in use.
Modeling NYC in N

Jerrys HO

QuoteAlso, the low amperage output of the basic unit w/o booster will not support more than two sound locomotives at any given time so mute extras when not in use.

I think this is a myth that Myth Busters should investigate as I have run 3 sometimes 4 sound loco's on the EZ Command on a mid size layout.
Yes you will have limited functions but that's OK unless your into listening to coupler clash and other sounds most of us do not need. You will have the engine,bell, horn or whistle,lights and sometimes more depending on manufacturer. One of my other brand loco's I can even operate crew talk and coupler clash with the EZ. Don't use it much as it does get annoying. Sound Value to me was a good choice by manufacturers to bring sound to us at a cost that most modelers can afford.

QuoteIs it usual for the engines to be in need of a "reboot"
Not usually unless a glitch occurs with the decoder or you want to reset everything back to factory settings.

Jerry

jbrock27

5th Ave El, so you bought Athearn rolling stock, no locos yet, correct?  Either rolling stock or loco, both are more than ok to use as they are great value for what you pay for.  If you would like some more loco suggestions, don't be bashful, just PM me and I will glad to give you some.   Pick up a coupler height gauge as suggested.  Kadee brand.  I like the plastic one over the metal version as I don't have to worry about putting it on the track with the power on and causing a short.  You don't have to go out and buy a new loco just to work with couplers; the couplers themselves can be adjusted for in numerous ways and using the gauge, you can make them all uniform.  Also, as mentioned above, use GOOGLE often for your research first and foremost and when it doubt, don't be shy about firing off a question.  Good luck and don't forget to keep us informed of your progress.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Elnovato

Thank you all for this helpful information!

Irbricksceo

Jerry, Although I only have one DCC sound Locomotive, My ez command couldn't run 4 Locomotives w/dcc, slowing down when running 3 (depending on which three) Its a 1  Amp system IIRC and Sound decoders Draw a considerable amount when running (motors, lights, speaker)

While your experience may have been different, its best to watch out as overloading can be bad. I've since switched over to NCE but The Ez command basic's specialty was its simplicity and ease of use, not its power.
Modeling NYC in N

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on September 02, 2014, 06:40:35 PM
QuoteAlso, the low amperage output of the basic unit w/o booster will not support more than two sound locomotives at any given time so mute extras when not in use.

I think this is a myth that Myth Busters should investigate as I have run 3 sometimes 4 sound loco's on the EZ Command on a mid size layout.

Jerry-

You may be pressing your luck or perhaps you have recently released locos with more than ordinary efficiency. Or maybe
your system is putting out a bit more power than spec. But I suggest three non-sound locos or two sound locos a the
practical limit for EZCommand.
                                                  -- D