News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reversing Trolley

Started by choochoomusic, October 12, 2007, 07:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choochoomusic

Hey everyone,
I want to create a reversing trolley operation using large scale "G".
using the Bachmann trolley cars. This is to run just like Bachmann's HO & On30 point to point sets. How would I do this and I'm having trouble finding what I need.
Thanks for the help.
The ChooChooMusic Man,
Russ

Paul W.

Hi Russ,
Get yourself a copy of Garden railways magazine. There is a wealth of info there, as well as many vendors. There are vendors listed that sell the reversing units for large scale layouts.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

Nathan

Aristo-Craft has an auto reverse unit that we use at our club.  We have run as many as three units at one time with it, an LGB St Charles street car, an Aristo-RDC, and an LGB D&RG #50.

I you do use it, put full voltage, at least 12 Volts into it and put a speed control on the out put.

Wade Colyer

Every now and then a Dillard's Christmas trolley shows up on ebay. It's the Bachmann trolley with auto reverse and plays about 14 Christmas tunes. $50 to $80 dollars seems to be the going price. It has a wall pack and a fixed speed. It comes with Bachmann track so you can make a longer run if you want. Mine works very well.

Wade

calenelson

RCS makes a "Boomerang" rev unit...and there are others...GR Mag is a good place to look!

cale

http://www.rcs-rc.com/

Jim Banner

If you are a do-it-yourself kind of person, there is a simple to build unit at

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/TechNotes/reverser/index.html

This unit can be built with any of a large number of relays - you might even have one in your scrap box.  By changing the circuit slightly, you can even use an Atlas snap relay.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Jon D. Miller

Russ,
If you don't want to build a reversing unit then check out the Split-Jaw Products units.

Split-Jaw offers two variations of reversing units.  Our club has used these units on  club displays with good results.  They have proven to be trouble free.

You can find out information on the Split-Jaw units at www.splitjaw.com where they list part number 10100 or part number10200.  Part number 10200 can be set for multiple stops along the route.

Just another option that you may find worth investigating.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Danny Sheehan in Oz

I use thr Aristocraft Reversing unit on my outdoor railway, for a Trolley Line, running Bachmann & LGB Trolleys.  Works great, you can adjust the terminus standing time from 5 seconds up to five minutes.

riny

Another possibility  is an auto-reversing unit (point-to-point, not a loop) from the following:

http://www.ironpeng.com/ipe/

It works with any 2-rail, DC system & comes pretty much ready to connect. Basically, you run the train connections through it with one set of terminals, and attach it's power input to the accessories terminals of the transformer. It sells for about $30. I haven't gotten one yet, but I may.
riny

altterrain

I just got a couple of the Iron Penguin reversers. One one amp for a Gn15 set up (which I hope to have up and running for ECLSTS) and a 5 amp for G trolleys. They look nice and came fast. Can't beat the price for $30 each.

-Brian
President of

riny

Brian, could you let us know about how the IronPenquin 1-amp unit works with your Gn15 set? I'm thinking of using 1-amp with an On30 set. If you works ok with Gn15 seems it should work with On30.

Well, It's now a few weeks later & no reply from Brian about his On15 set. But, I can now speak for myself -- I installed it with an On30 Bachmann trolley & the IronPenquin system works perfectly.  just as described in their site. Sorry Bachmann, but your reversing trolley set is out classed: The IronPenquin system has an adjustable delay timer (about 1/2 - 3 min.), can be used on ANY 2-rail tracks (DC current) of any gauge, with any (DC) motor, & is only about $30, and, it's relatively easy to install. As I see it, it's a good solution to point-to-point systems for any 2-rail gauge.

riny

An update is necessary about Iron Penguin - it seems they no longer make a point-to-point system. But another company, RR Concepts, does - along with units for other functions like auto reverse loops, station stops, etc., including for both DC & AC trains.
The site is: http://www.rr-concepts.com/
Actually, there are many other companies making similar controlling systems. A simple goggle search will usually find them.

Sleeping Bear

Here is another place to get them. just found it. http://www.reindeerpass.com/splitjawrailclamps.aspx?page=2             Later all......S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

the Bach-man

Dear Russ,
I'd go with the Aristo-Craft unit
Have fun!
the Bach-man

jsmvmd

Dear Mr. B,

Cannot find it in the Aristo on-line catalog.  Do you have a part no. ?  Thanks !

"Hazel"