News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New DD40AX DCC/Sound creep adjust?

Started by seadowns, September 06, 2014, 08:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadowns

Hello!
My first sound engine is pretty nice but I wonder how to get more creep ability out of it beause the start up speed on step 1 is a bit to fast and I'm convinced it could be slower.
So I was checking up diverse CVs but there was no change to it. What me also wonders CV2 is set to 0 and the engine is still running then.
After reading the Soundtraxx manual about this certain matter I was playing with the CV10, 209 and 210 but no cure. Is it useful to play with CV213/114? I'm using the 3 point speed table via CV29 and therefore is no effect on switching down the CV66/95. Cutting down CV5 slows the engine a little bit but I feel there's more to tickle out of it.
So hopefully depending on your experience with this matter I'm asking honestly for some advice!

Best regards
Mathi

seadowns

Hi!

Since there was no response to my problem I played around with the CVs and found out something:
Due to the two motors in this engine is it hardly possible for a decoder to run them both the same creep speed. Although is it possible to slow the engine a little bit more with the factory settings.
I choosed the speed tables in CV29 and activated in CV25=12 the exponential speed curve 3. Then I cut down the full speed CV05 to 90 and now the loco does not start running on CV2=0. I increased the value up to 4 and now the engine begins softly to start rolling.
The next to do will be tinkering with the usual CVs for BEMF and probably there is some more creep to get with.
Two motors are never the same due to manufacturers tolerances. If you buy 3 absolutely same engines and you run them you will find them running differently. A single motor can be handled by a good decoder very slow, a turn of a wheel in 25 sec. or more.
On the other side will older engines never reach such creep abilities due to 3 pole motors and awkward gearing and the lack of flywheels.
I hope this all may help some of you mates with similar probs!

Best regards
Mathi

plas man

thanks Mathi , I recently purchased a sound 69er and noticed the loco moved before the engine burst into life - it was on tick over and the loco moving !
the CV's are double Dutch to me , other than loco address and forward/reverse for multiple loco  running , other than that the loco is a great runner as are my other 2 none sound version's , I'll read your report over again and play with the settings , I can always re-set to factory default .

Alan   

seadowns

Yeah, thats right!
If anything failes a reset cures back to standards.
BTW, I didn't like the behavior and changed it. Loco sits on tack and I turned on the DCC and switched to speed step 1 the loco started their two engine one by one while running. That was so unlikely to me and I configured it this way: Loco on track, DCC signal on track, all bells and wistles and lights are in working order but not the engine. Usually if one turns on speed step one the loco should start running slow as desired. Now just the engines fire up at step 1 and the loco begins moving initially at step 2.
Thats what I appreciate so much. It only can work if one makes CV2 workable before that, otherwise one is not able to set the CV2 down.
So you have to tinker with the CV-settings like I did to make it work properly.
Don't hesitate to ask again if you have any probs with it, ok!

Best regards
Mathi

plas man

thanks for the info , I'll play with the CV's see how it works .

alan