News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Yet another Locomotive Project

Started by jonathan, September 07, 2014, 08:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Thanks, Doneldon! I don't know about perfection, but I'm starting to get the hang of this after 60+ paint jobs (that includes freight cars).

Finished a lot today (not much going on for a change).  All I have left is installation of the whistle pull, overfire jets (they're plastic) and final assembly of the major parts.

Added .5 oz. of weight to the shell. Bullfrog Snot to one left driver:

Still Trying to get a decent shot of the cab.  It has window glazing, weathering and stuff:

Various shots of the painted and weathered shell, with glazing and crew.  The glass never turns out in my photos:

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

As usual, a good looking project! 

It's still fascinating to see what your camera picks up.  For instance, under the magnification you have, it's possible to see what look like tool marks on the driver tires--as if they had come out of a wheel lathe! 

The bit about loose solder joints was a not unknown complaint from some earlier Korean brass model production. 

Found a number of good photos of Big Sixes, hope you enjoy them.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=66104&nseq=668

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=57107&nseq=681

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=55532&nseq=685

jonathan

Thanks, Roger and J3a.

Photographs of the rear of a steam locomotive seems to be rare as chickens teeth.  That was a good one.  Even better was the color photo of a Big Six coming out of the Harpers Ferry Tunnel. After drinking it all in, I noticed the heavy brown on the side of the smokebox and front of the cylinders.  I have seen that bit of weathering before, and have been reluctant to apply that much brown to my own models.  I may get that brave this time.

Finished the last little bits before final assembly.  The overfire jets are from the extra parts bag from the Bachmann EM-1.  Bachmann comes through again.  Now, they are a spaced a little too far apart so I couldn't put the required 4 jets on the fireman's side. Three will have to do.  I don't mind a little compromise.  Because they are plastic, I used a tiny drop of white glue to hold them in place.  The next owner may be offended by plastic on the brass model.

Got the smokebox front back on, which was really, really difficult. Did not want to pop back in the way it popped off.  Must be the paint around the joints.  

The whistle pull is a piece of .008" brass wire.  I fine sanded it for toothiness (sp), soaked it in vinegar for several days, and painted it with slightly thinned grimy black.  It's held in place with a tiny drop of epoxy. The epoxy joint was painted over to hide it.

All that's left is soldering up the headlight wires and attaching to the frame.  I'm waiting a day to make sure I'm good and relaxed.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Done and done.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

Beautiful work, as always Jonathon.  Just curious, does the loco number mean something special?  I see it comes from the 1957 steam renumbering era. 

jonathan

Thanks, ebtnut.

As much as possible, I am trying to model those last few years of steam.  Although I have compromised a few years before or after if I find a model I really like.

Also, I have a couple of color photos of that particular locomotive, dating around 1958. 

And the most selfish reason:  I'm not very coordinated when it comes to decal work.  It's near impossible for me to get those tiny numbers on the headlights. I do have small numbers that would have fit better on the headlight wings, just couldn't manipulate 'em.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:

#524 had an unusual piping arrangement coming off the top feed double boiler check valve.  The right side pipe made a long diagonal trip down to the back of the locomotive.  A few other S-1a's had the same configuration, as did the model.  Makes you wonder what photos the manufacturer used when constructing the model.