News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train slows down

Started by Elnovato, September 08, 2014, 05:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elnovato

Hi all,
I just set up my new HO DCC Commander on a 4 x 6.5 (0.5 in thick) birch plywood sheet in my basement (cannot fit anything bigger for the moment) and will be my long-term project. I bought the expansion set and a couple of extra 9 in straights. Both of my DCC locomotives slow down on a segment of the track (a curve section), but then pick up again. I checked and seems all is at the same level. is there any other reason why locomotives could slow down (voltage or so)?
Thanks.

rogertra

Clean your track.  Do NOT use sand paper nor a file.

Use either an ink eraser, if you can still find one, or a track eraser from your local hobby shop.

You could also use some isopropyl alcohol on cloth, you get the isopropyl alcohol from your drug store.  The 70% solution should work.

Do NOT use "rubbing alcohol" as that contains oils.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Denatured alcohol or WAHL clipper oil can also be used to clean the rails and since they are liquids, won't scratch the rails.  I have found some track cleaning blocks to be more abrasive than others.

Roger, I thought you liked to use Rail Zip?  (which likely is transmission fluid)
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on September 08, 2014, 08:11:31 PM
Denatured alcohol or WAHL clipper oil can also be used to clean the rails and since they are liquids, won't scratch the rails.  I have found some track cleaning blocks to be more abrasive than others.

Roger, I thought you liked to use Rail Zip?  (which likely is transmission fluid)

I forgot denatured alcohol.   :)

I use Rail Zip after I've cleaned the rail.  I find Rail Zip keeps it clean, it doesn't clean it.

Cheers

Roger T.

Elnovato

The track is new! No visible stains, but will clean anyway. Any other possibilities?

richg

Put your voltmeter on the AC scale. Connect the probes to the output of the DCC system. Compare with reading in the slow down section. Look for a poor connection between track sections.

My NCE Power Cab shows 13.6 VAC on my layout. Your might be different but we are looking for a trend, not so much an absolute value.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: Elnovato on September 08, 2014, 10:27:44 PM
The track is new! No visible stains, but will clean anyway. Any other possibilities?

Because you cannot see dirt it doesn't mean it's not there.

You could also have a sloppy connection between sections of track.

You did not mention the brand of track you use,  just you purchased a DCC Commander.

I only purchase Bachmann Spectrum locomotives so I am unfamiliar with the rest of their product range.

BTW, is the track nickel silver, the best type, or steel?

That can make a difference. 

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Thanks for that info Roger.  I had thought it would clean as well.

El, to expand on Rich's suggestion, check the rail joiners themselves on the problem section to see if they are loose or misaligned.  If you have the meter he mentions, I would also try taking out that section, setting the meter to measure resistance (OHMS) and take a measurement at either end of the rails that are on the same side of the (track) section and see what kind of readings you get.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Elnovato

It is the nickel silver EZ track... Will check out the connections. Thanks!

Elnovato

In the meantime, does it cause any harm to the locos?

jbrock27

Probably not.

But if it turns out that it is crud or dirt on the track, it will get transferred to the locos' wheels, getting them dirty in turn and in need of cleaning as well.

Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Quote from: Elnovato on September 08, 2014, 05:06:22 PM
Hi all,
I just set up my new HO DCC Commander on a 4 x 6.5 (0.5 in thick) birch plywood sheet in my basement (cannot fit anything bigger for the moment) and will be my long-term project. I bought the expansion set and a couple of extra 9 in straights. Both of my DCC locomotives slow down on a segment of the track (a curve section), but then pick up again. I checked and seems all is at the same level. is there any other reason why locomotives could slow down (voltage or so)?
Thanks.

Since you did comment on a meter, I figure right now you do not have one.
In the below link is a good meter available from Harbor Freight for around three dollars the last time I looked.
I have has three of these for some years. They might look different but I suspect they are made in China by probably one company and sold under different names. I see the same on ebay.
They compare very well to an expensive meter.
They have a old transistor checker socket which goes back many years and not used anymore.

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Meter_Workshop/index.htm

More info below.

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Meter_HF/index.htm

Rich

Elnovato

Richg, that was very helpful, thanks!

jbrock27

El, do you have a Harbor Freight store near you?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Elnovato

I googled it and relatively close, yes. The website has 7 function digital multimeters for 6 dollars.