Installing a Suethe no. 22 Smoke Generator

Started by TigerMaster, September 12, 2014, 12:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerMaster

I recently install a Suethe No. 22 Smoke Generator in a HO Mikado Steam Engine. It did not work. I got about 2 - 3 puffs of smoke then nothing. Where did I go wrong?
-TigerMaster-

rogertra

Quote from: TigerMaster on September 12, 2014, 12:42:03 AM
I recently install a Suethe No. 22 Smoke Generator in a HO Mikado Steam Engine. It did not work. I got about 2 - 3 puffs of smoke then nothing. Where did I go wrong?

Installing a smoke generator.

Sorry, I know that's not the answer you were looking for but many people on this list will tell you they are a bad idea.

1)  They do not look realistic.

2)  They cover your loco with an oily film.

3)  They will eventually put an oily film of both your track, bad for contact, and scenery, just bad.

Cheers

Roger T.

TigerMaster

I have heard that about them. I may just wait til i get a steam engine with one already install that is synced to DCC.
Thanks
-TigerMaster-

rogertra

Quote from: TigerMaster on September 12, 2014, 08:03:33 PM
I have heard that about them. I may just wait til i get a steam engine with one already install that is synced to DCC.
Thanks

Hate to harp on it but I will.  Don't, you will regret it.

Unless this is for a cute little train under the Christmas tree that you put up once per year.

Cheers

Roger t.

TigerMaster

Quote from: rogertra on September 12, 2014, 08:16:50 PM
Quote from: TigerMaster on September 12, 2014, 08:03:33 PM
Hate to harp on it but I will.  Don't, you will regret it.

Do the ones with a pre installed smoke gen still make a mess?
-TigerMaster-

Jerrys HO

The answer is yes they all make a mess, and to answer your other quote, you will never find one that will puff in sync with the chuff if you are thinking they will smoke when your engine chuffs.

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on September 13, 2014, 03:22:02 PM
The answer is yes they all make a mess, and to answer your other quote, you will never find one that will puff in sync with the chuff if you are thinking they will smoke when your engine chuffs.

Jerry-

Actually, there are some decoders which have puffing and chuffing synchronized but they tend to be found only on high-end models.
                                                                                                                                                                                                      -- D

TigerMaster

Thank you everyone for your informative comments. I will fore go the idea of having a smoke generator.

Tiger master

-TigerMaster-

rogertra

Quote from: TigerMaster on September 14, 2014, 05:12:47 PM

Thank you everyone for your informative comments. I will fore go the idea of having a smoke generator.

Tiger master

Probably the best model railroad decision you've made to date.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.