News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO crossover track

Started by rookie123, September 21, 2014, 08:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rookie123

I have two track loops each about 7' x 7'. I run analog train on the inner and a DCC on the outer loop. If I put in 2 crossover so I can run the trains on either track, will I be able to use the Bachmann DCC controller to power both rail loops and trains. All the engines are Bachmann as well as the tracks. Will probably add another Bachmann DCC engine at some points.

Thanks for the help,
Rookie

jward

yes, you will be able to run dcc everywhere using the setup you describe.

you'll want to make sure your dc power pack is disconnected before you do this. dc and dcc cannot power the same track at the same time. the results are catastrophic.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

If I may suggest running a pair of feeders to the inside and outside loops as not to lose voltage in between the  two loops divided by the crossover.

Joe Satnik

Dear Rook,

Please consider eliminating the DC power pack's speed/direction output from the rails of your layout.

(The DC power pack's Accessory Output terminals can/should remain to power the dual-coil solenoids that move the points of your turnouts and crossovers.) 

The remote crossover tracks (44575 Left and 44576 right) need extensive modifications

(cuts to rails and foils) to separate the 2 main lines from each other for DC block operation.

One DCC source sent everywhere works best for layouts using these crossovers. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

rookie123

Joe, I do not have any turnouts on these two loops and that's why I want to put in a crossover on opposite sides. I just assumed the DCC power supply would run the crossovers. But it sounds like the installation of the crossovers is way to difficult for me to consider.

Thanks for you help,
Rookie

Jerrys HO

Rookie,

I think you are misunderstanding the answers. Jeff and Joe both state that yes it will work for DCC,
I will back that up from experience, as I have a right hand and left hand crossover.
The point being made is DO NOT ATTEMPT to use your DC power with DCC power together.
Joe's  mention of modifications to the crossovers, ONLY applies if you are using DC to power your layout.
You will be OK with the two loops and crossovers with DCC.
I added the post of adding more feeder wires whether you use two terminal rerailers or powered rail joiners or solder straight to the track. It will help distribute power to the loops where you won't have power issues.

Jerry

Doneldon

Rook-

DCC will work fine for speed and direction all over your layout. I strongly suggest using DCC feeds to each loop, and probably two or three to each loop if they are as big as 7'x7'. You can operate turnouts on DCC but they MUST say DCC turnout on the package. DCC will NOT operate remote turnouts which do not have stationary decoders installed.

If your turnouts are non-DCC remotes, your best option is to power them with the variable DC or fixed AC outputs from a regular power pack, NOT the output from a DCC system. If you already have non-DCC turnouts but want to operate them using DCC, you would have to install stationary decoders. To me, that's too much of a hassle and expense for a small layout which only has turnouts to allow trains to cross from one loop to another. You'll only lose one thing if you operate conventional remote turnouts without DCC: the ability to control the turnouts from your DCC controller from anywhere around the layout as opposed to having a button in a fixed place.
                                                      -- D

rookie123

Guys, thanks very much. It sounds like this is doable so I'll do some more thinking/exploring and might be getting back to you.

Thanks very much,
Rookie

JimJim

You could just go with the EZ Command system, which does support both DC and DCC on the same pike.
I have recently converted by using this system. I have also added the 5-amp power booster and a Bachmann analog speed controller.
I can now run 10 channels of DCC and one channel of DC simultaneously. By adding the DC controller this frees up the previously DC dedicated channel 10 on the EZ Command controller.
I am running a 8X10 table top pike, considered a small layout.
The drawback to this simple system is that you cannot access higher CV functions; acceleration curve, advanced lighting functions, etc.
On the plus side it eliminated all the wiring and block controllers needed for a DC system. I went from 16 control blocks to basically two wires to feed the entire system. Imagine a time saver on steroids.
If you do decide in the future to upgrade to a more advanced system the EZ Command system is compatible with the Dynamis wireless controller which will give you the higher CV functions.
Hope this helps.
"Uhh...I didn't know it was 'impossible' I just made it work...sorry!"

rookie123

Jim, thanks so much for this information. I found video on YouTube that show exactly what you describe and will use this for my future planning.

Appreciate all the help,
Rookie

jward

i think a clarification needs to be made here.

when you add a dc controller to a dcc system such as ez command or digitrax zehyr, this does NOT mean you are running dc and dcc on the same layout. with those two systems, the dc controller is used by the dcc system as an additional dcc controller, with no programming capability. locomotives must be addressed to this dc controller by the dcc command station.
also, wth some systems, including the two mentioned above, you can control a dc locomotive with your dcc controller. once again this does NOT mean you are running dc and dcc at the same time. the dc locomotive is being controlled by a modified form of dcc .

lest anybody be confused as to what I am talking about, dcc is a form of ac, and connecting ac and dc to the same track at the same time will cause a dead short and possibly destroy your dcc system. running a dc locomotive on a dcc system is not the same.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

JimJim

Jeff,
I respectfully disagree.
As I type this I am running a Bachmann GE 70 ton Diesel Loco DCC Equipped Locomotive (#60613) on address 4 while simultaneously running a Bachmann Analog F7A, on the same controller on the D/C channel 10. Each having independent cab control.
They have been chasing each other around the mainline with no damage, other than the possibility of a crash, for the past 5-minutes.
When the analog loco is not moving I remove it from the track to avoid overheating the DC motor. As stated in the E-Z Command instruction book.
I do not consist a DC and a DCC. Also I don't run the analog loco's on the Wye you helped me wire.
That's the beauty of the E-Z Command system.
If what I'm doing is technically impossible don't tell the bumble bee that it can't fly.
Respectfully.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

The analog DC controller does not power the DC locomotive on the DCC track.  

It only provides an analog reference voltage (proportional to your desired speed and direction) to the EZ-Command DCC controller,

which interprets it and "stretches the zeros" of the DCC signal to the track, which fools the DC locomotive into running.  

Problem is, though, that when the DC loco is stopped and still resting on the DCC tracks, the full power DCC signal will "cook" the poor DC loco's motor.

Get your DC loco off the tracks as soon as possible after stopping,

or park it on a siding with one isolated rail that can be shut off (from the track DCC signal) with an electrical switch.  

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: Spelling      
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Hunt

Adding to what Joe Satnik wrote. . . .

JimJim,
What you believe is a common misconception. The DC locomotive is being controlled with a method that modifies the DCC waveform known as Zero Stretching (Zero Bit Stretching).

Click Here it may help with understanding.

JimJim

Hello All,
Yes I agree that the analog motor is being fooled by the digital waveform known as zero stretching. And, if left on the track the analog motor will fry, as per the warning in the E-Z Command instruction book. It does give the caveat of possible damage occurring by running analog locos over long periods of time.
As I've stated in my previous post: "When the analog loco is not moving I remove it from the track to avoid overheating the DC motor. As stated in the E-Z Command instruction book"
Rookie123's original question was, and I'm paraphrasing, "is it possible to run both analog and digital locos on the same pike."
The simple answer is yes. I'm doing it right now as I type.
If Bachmann never intended for both analog and digital to run on the same pike then why do they highlight that feature in the E-Z Command instruction booklet? (E-Z Command Setup and Programming Instructions; Page 6, STANDARD DC LOCOMOTIVE OPERATION.)
Thank you all for your input to what has become a heated topic.
Respectfully.
J.J.