Antique Norfolk Southern in Cleveland

Started by jonathan, September 22, 2014, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

I made a trip to Cleveland this weekend to participate in an ALS Walk fundraiser at Progressive field.  First time I made it through Cleveland in daylight hours.

On the drive in, we passed a railroad yard with a long string of old passenger cars decorated for Norfolk Southern.  They appeared to be completely rebuilt, very shiny, in a shade of brown with black rooves.  Seemed to be in a WWII era paint scheme, but I could be wrong about that.  Unfortunately, I was driving, so could not whip out my camera for a photo op.  Anyone know why such a site would occur in Cleveland?  Really was a pleasant, and completely unexpected surprise.

Anyone who has driven in and around the Cleveland area can attest to the spaghetti bowl of tracks around the river and downtown area.  If only I had the opportunity to stop and shoot some photos.  I certainly will take advantage the next time I happen through there.  One could literally get ten different bridge types in one photo if one wanted to. I counted at least three different types of lift bridges alone.  Amazing stuff.

Regards,

Jonathan

Piyer

Jonathan, if this (https://akronrrclub.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_1246.jpg) is like what you saw, then that would be Norfolk Southern's office car train.

~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

jonathan

That's it!  A huge string of passenger cars with state names on them.  Felt like I stepped through a time machine.  Beautiful train. Looked browner in person, though I am slightly colorblind.

Thanks, Piyer.  I googled it once you gave it a name for me.  At least I wasn't having a pleasant halucination.  ;D

Reagrds,

Jonathan

ACY

Quote from: jonathan on September 22, 2014, 09:47:44 AM
I made a trip to Cleveland this weekend to participate in an ALS Walk fundraiser at Progressive field.  First time I made it through Cleveland in daylight hours.
If I had known you were going to be in the area; you could have visited my club's layout where I have my sound-equipped EM-1.

jonathan

Hopefully,

I'll have more time for sightseeing on my next trip.  Would love to see the loco and layout.  Thanks!

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

Jonathan,
It may be hard to believe but the Presidents car which I believe is in that pic, was here in New Orleans getting refurbished. My parents next door neighbor does woodwork and was asked to help with the interior. He knew I loved trains and invited over to see it one Saturday. I forgot my camera at home that day so I never got pics either.
I might say it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. There was more Cherry wood than you can imagine.
There is a guy by my work (where it was located) that works out of an old KCS building that refurbishes a lot of passenger cars. Many times there are different road names waiting to get done.
If I understood my neighbor, the guy does a lot of frame, truck, sheet metal work and subs out any interior wood work but does all metal work himself.
Wish I had pics of the inside you would be amazed!

Jerry