News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1:20.3 Forney No Smoke, Chuff

Started by wmfisher, September 22, 2014, 01:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmfisher

Dear Mr. Bachmann -
Just got & set up my new 1:20 Forney.  Oiled all around, runs on DC on loop of track, lights light, but no smoke nor chuff.  Started with smoke switch in smokebox set to "off", then to "DC".  Put a squeeze or 2 of smoke stuff down chimney.  Is there something more I can do, like setting an obscure switch or soldering a wire, than could fix the problem, or do I need to ship it back to you folks as defective?
- Bill Fisher

Chuck N

Check behind the smoke box door.  Some of the Spectrum steam engines have switches for smoke, polarity, and lights behind the door on the front of the smoke box.

Did your engine come with sound installed?  I don't know about the Forney, but all of mine (Shay, Climax, and K-27s) were sound ready, but didn't come with it installed.  There is a chuff sensor that can be hooked into a sound unit.

Chuck

Mike M

wmfisher

Quote from: Mike M on September 22, 2014, 08:55:46 PM
They did not come with sound
Mike

O.k., that answers one question.  But the smoke simply doesn't work, no matter which setting of the switch inside the smokebox I use.  And I also just checked, and the led lights and flicker in the cab also do not work (and I've tried it with the cab/flicker switch in all positions).  The headlight with its directionality does work.  I suspect there's one wire from the main pc board that supplies power to both the smoke generator and the cab/flicker lights, it's become disconnected or broken, and if I know where it was, I could just fix it with a little solder.

grsman

There is a connection diagram on the Bachmann site that might be of some help chasing the power.
Tom