News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track oil

Started by rookie123, September 25, 2014, 10:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rookie123

I've noticed the wheels on my steam engine turning faster and even slipping when going up a small incline. I took a towel and wiped the tracks to find grease makes on the towel and lots of it. What is the sources of this oil/grease? Can the engine be leaking oil? What's the best way to really clean the wheels & tracks?

I appreciate the help,
Rookie

jbrock27

I think you have found the most likely source, yes.  Unless someone else has been putting the oil on the tracks w/o you noticing :D.

Many new locos from manufacturers across the board, come with toooooo much lube.  Is/are the locos you have new?  Clean off the excess on the loco.  Then clean the rails with isopropyl alcholol, denataured alcohol, ATF, nail polish remover (try not to get any on plastic) or liquid track cleaner.
Keep Calm and Carry On

GN.2-6-8-0

This is and will always be a job for your maintence crew ;D
dirt on the track has been the ban of us model railroaders since the begining.
Most of the crud on our track comes from the wheels of our equipment.keeping your wheels clean will be a ongoing job but a part of the hobby' one thing that seems to help is upgrading your freightcars with metal wheels as the plastic wheels most come equipped with tend to collect and spread the dirt along the rails.
there are also a few really good rail cleaning cars available that will ease the chore.
Rocky Lives

jbrock27

GN, not a dirt or crud problem 123 is asking about.  But I agree with most of what you say otherwise.
I think cleaning by hand is more efficient than by car.  Often after using a car, some cleaning by hand is needed anyhow.
Keep Calm and Carry On