News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

two engines

Started by yarbnek, September 26, 2014, 02:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarbnek

can one place to engines on the same track or does one have to be a "dummy"?

James in FL

Generally yes, you can run more than 1 engine on the same track, and no it doesn't necessarily need to be a dummy...

BUT-

It really depends on how many your power supply can support.

What is the VA rating (total output) of your power supply?
Are your locomotives DCC equipped?

yarbnek

just starting railroading.  they are the diesel type engines and not dcc.  currently only have one power supply, but after reading comments here, I think I may need to obtain a couple more.  Did not know you could connect more than one transformer.  This is all new and the folks here are extremely helpful.  Thanks all.

ACY

Quote from: yarbnek on September 28, 2014, 01:48:20 PM
just starting railroading.  they are the diesel type engines and not dcc.  currently only have one power supply, but after reading comments here, I think I may need to obtain a couple more.  Did not know you could connect more than one transformer.  This is all new and the folks here are extremely helpful.  Thanks all.
You can't connect more than one transformer. Doing so will damage the locomotives and they probably won't run after doing so. Further it is unsafe to have two seperate power supplies going to the same track. However, if you make several electrically isolated blocks by either cutting a gap in the rails or using insulating plastic rail joiners, you could then use multiple throttles/transformers to run your layout. But you must ensure you have gaps in your rails if you do this and then you must make sure the track is wired with the same polarity throughout the layout and be sure to avoid reversing loops/sections unless you have an automatic reversing module for DCC (Digital) operation or the correct wiring and switches fir a DC ( Analog) setup.
If you decide to go the DC route you must ensure the locomotives run at the same speed if you intend to doublehead/consist them together. If they do not have similar gearing you cannot run them together without risking damage. In this case your only recourse would be to regear one or both locomotives or to install DCC decoders in them and either purchase or borrow an advanced DCC system to adjust Configuration Variables (CVs ) in order to speed match them so they can run well together.

yarbnek

James, thanks a lot!!  Will help a lot and it is just the type of site we have been looking for.  ACY, thanks, you probably saved me some serious dollars and a lot of headaches.