2-8-0 Outside frame Consolidation Final Drive Gear.

Started by Pospete, September 29, 2014, 06:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

If you could push the loco backwards with the power off it is definitely a gear train problem.

Can you push the loco forward with the power off?
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

davepenn7

Hi Bill,
   When i push the loco backward the wheels turn. When I push it forward the wheels do not turn.

Thanks
Dave

Chuck N

If the external drive rods do not bind. There is no other potential problem location than the gear train.  Something must have broken that prevents the gears from going in the opposite direction and is jamming the movement.   Other than that I'm out of ideas.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Dave,

There is gear damage for sure. you will need to get it apart to see what is going on.  Bachman, I think still has all the gears available.   If it had the brass gear replacement, it may have been reassembled improperly.  Hard to say for sure. 

I will try to find the dis-assembly instructions tomorrow, unless you already have them.

davepenn7

Thanks to Bill & Chuck,
      I removed the gear cover and it does have a metal gear. With the cover off wheels turn freely in both directions. I then replaced the gear cover and it won't go forward. I have the instructions for replacing the plastic gear. Looks like I need to replace other gears between axel gear and motor. Do you have instructions for this?

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Chuck N

Here is a link to the instructions I used when I had to work on the gear train in my Connie ten or so years ago.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20755.0.html

I'm at a loss as to why it is binding with the cover on and not with it off.  Maybe the cover is pushing the gear and axle up against something in the frame.   I'd look there first.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Remember,

With the gears engaged the wheels should NOT TURN AT ALL with the motor turned off. 

Chuck N

Bill, I had forgotten that the Connie didn't freewheel. That means that the forward movement might be correct and the freewheeling backwards isn't.

My Barry's BBT conversion does permit the wheels to rotate manually, but not easily.  It is not freewheeling by any means.

Chuck

electriccharlie

Hi everyone, I have received the replacement axle ,with metal gear, from Bachman parts and am ready to move all the parts over from the old axle. How do I get the screw out that is in the end of the axle? I have tried overwhelming force and stripped the first screw. Is a drill bit the only option or is there a less savage method?

Chuck N

You might try gently heating it with a soldering iron.  It may have been glued and a little heat might soften the glue.  A drop of acetone (fingernail polish remover) on the screw might also loosen it.

Chuck