Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gp 35

Started by Bobbyl88, October 03, 2014, 02:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbyl88

I have standard dc gp35 locomotive is any way it's dcc compatible

rogertra

With work, any locomotive can be converted to DCC. Some more easily than others.

Google is you friend to find out how.

Cheers

Roger T.

richg

Quote from: Bobbyl88 on October 03, 2014, 02:58:41 PM
I have standard dc gp35 locomotive is any way it's dcc compatible

Just follow the instructions. Store the link to give to others. This question pops up at times.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/GP35/GP35.html

Rich

jward

keep in mind there is an older version of this locomotive that did not have the motor isolated from the frame. conversion of this type is not difficult, but the procedure is different from the one shown on the tcs web site.

the late former forum member jim banner did an excellent pictorial of this type of locomotive

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html

please note that, although the locomotive pictured is a h16-44, the same basic chassis was used on many other bachmann locomotives from the 1990s and early 2000s, including the gp30, gp35, sd45 and c40-8. all can be converted to dcc using these instructions. also note that the make of decoder is irrelevant as long as it has the wire leads necessary for hardwiring into the locomotive.

i personally have converted about a half dozen locomotives using these instructions and can vouch for their accuracy.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Quote from: jward on October 03, 2014, 03:32:38 PM
keep in mind there is an older version of this locomotive that did not have the motor isolated from the frame. conversion of this type is not difficult, but the procedure is different from the one shown on the tcs web site.

the late former forum member jim banner did an excellent pictorial of this type of locomotive

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html

please note that, although the locomotive pictured is a h16-44, the same basic chassis was used on many other bachmann locomotives from the 1990s and early 2000s, including the gp30, gp35, sd45 and c40-8. all can be converted to dcc using these instructions. also note that the make of decoder is irrelevant as long as it has the wire leads necessary for hardwiring into the locomotive.

i personally have converted about a half dozen locomotives using these instructions and can vouch for their accuracy.

The TCS site does tell you to isolate the motor pins. Go check. First thing I looked for.

Quote:
This installation is rather involving due to the fact that the locomotive chassis is not isolated from the motor. Simply follow the step-by-step write up and you should be good. We do not recommend this installation for a beginner.

Rich

jbrock27

I personally think the pics are better in the link Rich posted.

Where is a good place to find Kapton tape?
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Quote from: jbrock27 on October 04, 2014, 08:24:15 AM
I personally think the pics are better in the link Rich posted.

Where is a good place to find Kapton tape?

An online DCC supplier.
I got mine from Littchfield Station.

Rich

jbrock27

Thank you Rich.
Now that you say that, my memory has been jogged as I believe you had said that at least once before.
Thanks again.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Quote from: jbrock27 on October 04, 2014, 11:15:41 AM
Thank you Rich.
Now that you say that, my memory has been jogged as I believe you had said that at least once before.
Thanks again.

A 3M product.

Tony's Trains also sells it.

It can be punctured. I re-tapped a hole in a frame and used a nylon screw for mounting the motor. Forgot the ridge that the tap raised. Still had continuity when I checked with the ohm meter. Had to file the frame smooth.

Rich