News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC compatibility

Started by stationmaster12, October 01, 2014, 10:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stationmaster12

Hi everyone!!! I want to know if anyone of you have experience running MTH HO trains with the Bachman EZ DCC system. The reason I ask is because I was gifted  a MTH SD70ACe that I want to run on DCC, but I do not have a DCC system yet. I like the price point of the Bachman EZ DCC starter set, but I am not sure it it will operate my SD70ACe. My main concern is the adders changes for the loco. My layout is only 4' X 6' and I am using Atlas code 93 track. Thanks for the help. I look forward to the replies!!!
Keep God first in all that you do.

JimJim

Hello,
First a question: Is the gifted loco DCC?

Second, take a look at "HO crossover track" in this forum.

Hope this helps.
"Uhh...I didn't know it was 'impossible' I just made it work...sorry!"

stationmaster12

Yes the loco is DCC and sound MTH's Protosound 3.0
Thanks!!

JimJim

Included with the E-Z Command system are instructions on how program a loco to a specific address; 1-9 on the E-Z Command system, address 10 is used for DC operation, unless you add an external DC controller like I did to free up that channel for DCC use.
There are also instructions included on how to reprogram a decoder with a previously assigned address.
Hope this helps.
"Uhh...I didn't know it was 'impossible' I just made it work...sorry!"

richg

You will do better with the Dynamis DCC controller.

There are issues running MTH locos with DCC systems that I have read in a couple other train forums. Don't remember the details though.
Some users replaced the MTH decoder with a DCC decoder. The last I knew is the MTH have DCS technology.
I suggest you Google mth dcs with dcc.

Rich

stationmaster12

It does. Thank you!!! I think my loco can be programmed on the main. That is what I have to figure out next. If it does then I'm in good shape. Thanks again. And if you think of anything else please let me know. By the way here is a pic of my layout. I did some scenery work this morning.!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=482325281908519&set=gm.1484390321839901&type=1&theater

rogertra

Quote from: richg on October 01, 2014, 01:44:29 PM

There are issues running MTH locos with DCC systems that I have read in a couple other train forums. Don't remember the details though.
Some users replaced the MTH decoder with a DCC decoder. The last I knew is the MTH have DCS technology.

Rich

I tend to agree with Rich here.  I've read that MTH developed their own DCC system which is not 100% compatible with NMRA Standards DCC.  Sadly, this is why I've avoided purchasing any MTH locomotives.

Cheers

Roger T.

richg

Quote from: rogertra on October 01, 2014, 02:31:48 PM
Quote from: richg on October 01, 2014, 01:44:29 PM

Rich

I tend to agree with Rich here.  I've read that MTH developed their own DCC system which is not 100% compatible with NMRA Standards DCC.  Sadly, this is why I've avoided purchasing any MTH locomotives.

Cheers

Roger T.

Again, make sure you do the Google search as the MTH systems is, "DCS", not DCC if the locos have not been modified by others.
They are nice looking locos though.

Rich

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

hawaiiho

I have several MTH locos, both steam and diesel; older ones have more problems using DCC than newer ones.

The main remaining problem being the inability to use service mode or a programming track mode. 

All programming must be done on the main.

Hope this helps.

Will

Jerrys HO

Just a reassurance to Station Master 12. I have the same loco as you and I run the EZ Command and this loco just fine. The MTH unit has much more functions than you will be able to use without a upgrading to a better system.
Off the top of my head the functions available are:
F1 bell
F2 short horn
F3 long horn
F4 can not remember (CRS)
F5 crew talk
F6 I believe mutes the sound and if you press it multiple times it will change the volume setting
F7 coupler crash
F8 coupler clash
F9 CRS
F0 lights

Some listings may be out of order but I have not ran my loco's in about 6 months :-\
Pressing crew talk is cool for about a minute then it's gotta go :P.
If you have the booklet that came with it it will show the functions I mention and more.
Very nice running loco, smooth and quiet. Has BEMF which is a plus especially on grades.

Jerry

stationmaster12

Hey Jerry,
Thanks for the reply. I'm seriously considering the E-Z Command especially after reading your post. When running your SD70ACe, which number  button for address do you press on the E-Z command? Thanks again!

Doneldon

Quote from: stationmaster12 on October 02, 2014, 12:40:30 AM
I'm seriously considering the E-Z Command

SM12-

If you like the Bachmann DCC system dig a little deeper than the EZCommand and get the Dynamis. The entry-level system has very limited power, no programming ability and the ability to send instructions to only ten DCC locos. However, it will only be able to run two or three at once, depending on whether or not they have sound. The power can be increased at a high cost but that will not change the number of locomotives it can handle at one time or its inability to program decoders.

Dynamis is more powerful plus it is a full-featured system which will give you complete programming ability for a virtually endless number of locos. I'm not writing this because I work for Bachmann. I don't. But I feel very strongly that even a newbie model rail will quickly become disappointed with the EZCommand's limitations.
                                          -- D

Jerrys HO

Quote from: stationmaster12 on October 02, 2014, 12:40:30 AM
Hey Jerry,
Thanks for the reply. I'm seriously considering the E-Z Command especially after reading your post. When running your SD70ACe, which number  button for address do you press on the E-Z command? Thanks again!

I keep mine addressed to default (3) for the reason others have stated about MTH. I figured everything works fine where it's at so leave it alone. All other loco's (Bachmann) are assigned to other address's.
Some here knock the ability of the EZ Command because of it's limited ability but as an entry level system that came with one of my set's, it has helped me learn DCC a lot easier.
I have this problem that if it's available let's play with it. In my case I don't have it so it was easier to learn the basics and hang out at the local club and watch the use of their NCE system. Others have helped with tutorials sent to me by PM's also.
I have chose the NCE system for numerous reasons ease of use and the local club uses it so it would be easier for help from local guy's than searching the net.
As far as the last poster stated about the Dynamis being better, IMHO it is an infrared system which can be interfered with (search and you will see some problem's other's have had) and has functions that are there but unusable ( supposedly for future expansion???).
The basic EZ Command is a good option to start with so you can learn as you go and when you are ready you can decide which system is going to work for you ( Dynamis,NCE,Digitrax,MRC (great power packs, unfriendly DCC station from what I have read).

Jerry

stationmaster12

Jerry,
Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it. I think I will go with the Bachman EZ Command. Based on the research I've done including your input it should work just fine for what I need. In the past I've had the chance to operate the older Digitrax Zephyr and a MRC Prodigy Express. Both nice, but I can not afford either one now. I ran into an EZ Command on Bay for like $50 plus shipping new. I'm going to jump on that one. Thanks again for your time your have been very helpful!!