Are there limits for track layout with the EZ controller?

Started by metasine, October 03, 2014, 12:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metasine

Hello everyone,

I bought the Bachmann starter set. It's the DCC set that comes with two locos and some track. I also bought a Bachmann track set, since I wanted something more than just a simple loop. My issue is that when I try to expand the track layout beyond a simple loop, the EZ Command will just flash the Stop and 1 light very fast. When I go back to the one loop, it works fine. Are there limits to the track layout with the EZ command?

Thanks.

ACY

It sounds like you may have inadvertently created a reversing section/loop which requires the use of a automatic reversing module or special wiring including isolating the reversing section.  This is most likely the issue and is causing a short circuit.

Doneldon

met-

No, there aren't any real limits to how much track can be operated by the EZCommand, other than that the low voltage will only flow so far but that distance is more than anyone would ever try so there are effectively no limits. However, there is more to the story. For one thing, the advertising that says connect one set of wires and you're ready to go isn't exactly true.

DCC systems are very fussy about the quality of the power and its continuity. Even a split second interruption in the power will cause things to reset and locomotives to go back through their start up sounds. That's a little ridiculous when the train is already running down the track. The upshot of this is that power must flow continuously. Unfortunately, rail joiners don't do a very good job of carrying current from one track section to another. Additionally, dirt can build up on the rails and wheels and this can also lead to electrical interruptions. These two situations do have effective solutions.

The first involves providing power to several points along the track, not just at a single point. The way to do this is to run a power buss under your layout surface and then run short jumpers through the surface to the tracks. An extension cord or a piece of lamp wire, which are generally 16 ga stranded wire, works great for the power buss. The wire is copper and large enough to carry our low-voltage power without a significant drop. Smaller wire and even our rails aren't good at this. So ... run the power buss under things and attach very small wire (it's easier to fish through the layout surface) for the feeders. This can be as small as 22 ga as long as the feeders are no longer than a foot. My own policy is to use 20 ga stranded wire feeders which are no longer than eight inches. I use a feeder often enough that I never rely on more than one rail joint at a time, and I use conductive grease in every rail joiner to delay the inevitable oxidation which will interfere with electrical continuity. That's not too big of a deal with three-foot sections of flex track but does make for a lot of feeders with sectional track such as you have. I urge you to solder several track sections together, each assembled piece with a feeder, as that's less work than running dozens of feeders. One caution: Be careful to keep your polarity straight.

Dirty track and wheels can only be coped with by cleaning. There are a many ways to clean track as there are model railroaders. This can be anything from a simple piece of Masonite attached to the bottom of a box car and running along the track to expensive electronic cleaners which seem to work for some people but not others. I use alcohol on a coarse cloth to clean the rails and then I put an infinitesimal drop of Wahl oil on the rails and let my wheels spread it around. In theory, at least, this seals the rail surface so oxidation is slowed. I have a gizmo with wire brushes and power which I use for locomotive wheels. Oh, and I clean tender wheels with alcohol and coarse fabric. (Loco and tender wheels are the only ones which have to conduct electricity.) I also use metal wheels on everything and that helps to keep the rails cleaner.

I hope this doesn't discourage you. No one enjoys cleaning track but it's part of the overhead of model railroading. After nearly 60 years in the hobby, I can confidently assure you that it's more than worthwhile.
                                                                                    -- D

metasine

Quote from: ACY on October 03, 2014, 01:30:18 AM
It sounds like you may have inadvertently created a reversing section/loop which requires the use of a automatic reversing module or special wiring including isolating the reversing section.  This is most likely the issue and is causing a short circuit.

I think this is what I did. It was basically a figure-eight with some of the sides extended a bit.

Doneldon

Quote from: metasine on October 03, 2014, 03:56:28 AM
figure-eight with some of the sides extended a bit.

met-

That'll do it.

-- D