ONLINE
STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2020, 08:42:53 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  HO
| | |-+  Installing a #44914 Decoder on a #10151 motor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Installing a #44914 Decoder on a #10151 motor  (Read 8135 times)
JimJim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 06:31:36 PM »

Hello Rich,
I buy from Mouser. I’m looking at a 7x38 stranded, 30ga.
They sell in larger quantities (100’) but if I get a white jacket I can color code with markers (Sharpies) to my specs.
I’m not sure about going through a 3rd party to post my pics but I’ll definitely keep you, and the rest of the good folks in the loop (excuse the pun) about the conversion.
My next project is an analog Athearn rotary snow plow and tender (F7B) that I’ll be converting to DCC with the same decoders. I’ll let you know how that project goes.
Again, Thanks to you and all the contributors to my posts.
Logged

“Uhh...I didn’t know it was ‘impossible’ I just made it work...sorry!”
JimJim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 06:35:36 PM »

Hello Rich,
Just read your latest post...
I’m not sure if I’m ready for sound- -yet (see previous post)
But I’ll keep it in mind.
Again, Thank you and the entire community!
Logged

“Uhh...I didn’t know it was ‘impossible’ I just made it work...sorry!”
JimJim

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 07:41:52 PM »

Hello Rich,
So...I got impatient.
I stripped one motor of the molded inductors and the capacitors, as you suggested, by de-soldering the connections. I then soldered the motor terminals from the decoder to the motor; gray to the former black & orange to the former red to keep it simple.
Then I got impatient and just twisted the pickup pairs to the decoder, along with the headlight, as per the decoder instructions, without reinstalling the motor into the frame and...
IT FRIGGIN’ WORKS!!! (expletive modified for a G audience.)
Now all I have to do is solder and shrink wrap the connections, re-assemble and away we go!!!
I’ve already re-assigned this loco to it’s new address.
Again, a huge thanks to you and the Bachmann community for making this possible.
Only three more locos to go and then the snow plow. The B-units will be much simpler because they don’t have lights.
Gratefully yours,
J.J.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:23:46 PM by JimJim » Logged

“Uhh...I didn’t know it was ‘impossible’ I just made it work...sorry!”
richg
Guest
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 08:10:12 PM »

This come under, whatever works. Very good.

Rich
Logged
JimJim

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 07:39:53 PM »

Hello all,
I am now the proud owner of a DCC controlled 4-unit consist of EMD F7A, B, B, A with functioning directional headlights on the A units.
Next project,- -the rotary snowplow and power car.
Thank you all!!!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:45:15 PM by JimJim » Logged

“Uhh...I didn’t know it was ‘impossible’ I just made it work...sorry!”
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  
Powered by SMF | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!