News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

kato track

Started by yarbnek, October 01, 2014, 11:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarbnek

A friend has a large quantity of Kato track (unitrack?).  Will Bachmann locomotives,engines and rolling stock run on Kato track and a Kato transformer?  Don't want to buy something that will not work with what I have (all Bachmann and EZ track).

Piyer

Yes, one manufacturer's equipment will run on another's track, and you can mix and match different brands of rolling stock and locomotives.

HOWEVER... you will probably have to do some creative engineering to mate Kato track to EZ track. The roadbed parts use different mating styles. But it is doable. 
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

yarbnek

thanks,  I was not going to mate it to the ez tracks, just use it for a different layout.  when mix and matching rolling stock doesn't one have to change couplers so they mate?  Re:  Kato tracks.  I have read there are many more Kato layouts out there than ez track.  Some say they conduct the current better also, but I do not know that to be true.

brokemoto

Yes, the B-mann locomotives and rolling stock will operate on Kato UNITRAK powered by a Kato powerpack.  It will also operate on Atlas track powered by MRC powerpacks.  You can pretty much mix the track and power supplies.  Some track is better than others, but the Atlas, Kato and B-mann are generally allright.

One thing about the Kato UNITRAK:  avoid the #4 turnouts.  They cause derailments.  I have seen and tried the fixes recommended for them.  The result was little improvement.  The B-mann 2-8-0, 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 generally will clear them, but on some of them, the pilot truck on the 4-6-0 will derail.  It seems to be specific turnouts, not a general rule.  The B-mann industrial diesels, S-2 and NW-2 will operate on them.  I have not tried the GP-7 or the FM roadswitcher.  The rolling stock of various manufacturers will derail on them, as well, although there seems to be no pattern to which ones derail on which Kato #4.  The UNITRAK #6 turnouts are very good. 

UNITRAK curves come in a wider variety of radii than do the E-Z TRAK, but B-mann is catching up. 

Kato also sells a line of street trackage called UNITRAM.  It is designed for Kato's modern street cars.  It is possible to run trains on them, but the curves are extremely sharp.  The turnouts are also extremely sharp and cause many locomotives to climb and/or derail.  The placement of the diamonds on them also causes stalling.  You can run the B-mann industrial diesels in pairs and they will clear, but singly they stall on the plastic diamonds.

The best way to transition from E-Z TRAK to another manufacturer is to use Atlas SNAP-TRACK as a transition piece.  Atlas sells a package of straight sections in various lengths, as well as the full five inch straight sections.  Kato sells a transition section, but it is not necessary to pay for it.  You must, however, remove the Kato rail joiners to connect another manufacturer's track to it.  The E-Z -TRAK  will not connect directly, due to the clip that protrudes from the end.  You must put a section of Atlas SNAP-TRACK between the two as a transition or cut a section of flex track to fit.

One thing that the E-Z-TRAK lacks is insulated rail joiners.  The joiners are fastened to the track sections in such a way that it is difficult to remove them and almost impossible to put plastic rail joiners on them.

Piyer

Quote from: yarbnek on October 01, 2014, 12:31:24 PMWhen mix and matching rolling stock doesn't one have to change couplers so they mate?

It depends. Newly made equipment tends to have either working couplers or compatible one-piece ones. Older stock has the once-standard rapido coupler. So, depending on your buying habits, you might have to convert one style to the other or, more simply, have a couple of transition cars handy that have one style on one end and the other on the opposite end.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

yarbnek

Piyer and Brokemoto,   thanks very much.  I have some eztracks that are missing the rail joiners (on curved pieces I need to complete the layout).  Tried to cannabalize a couple from some straight track, and as Brokemoto says, they do not want to come off.  The whole rail starts to pull off.  Just substitued other stock to fix, but learned really quickly about eztrack rail joiners.

brokemoto

Standard N scale metal rail joiners will work on B-mann's E-Z-TRAK.  Atlas sells them in blister packs; they are not expensive.  Almost every brick and mortar hobby store carries them as well as most E-tailers.  Do keep in mind that you will have to work them onto the track sections, as the joiners are rather tight when new.  This is a good thing, as it keeps the electrical contact sound.

The plastic, insulating joiners, at least those that Atlas sells, do not go onto E-Z-TRAK, but the Atlas metal joiners will.

yarbnek

Brokemoto:  thanks, I will find some of these.  Saves at least three pieces of curved track.