News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Will we ever see a Bachmann PRR E-44 ?

Started by keystonefarm, October 01, 2014, 05:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keystonefarm

Over the years Bachmann has produced a number of electric locomotives. Two versions of E-60's , Metroliners years ago. E-33's HHP-8's and now GG-1's. I have a number of the GG-1's and E-33's and have been checking out the similarities betwen the E-33 and E-44. Same frame length wheelbase and trucks. Similar underbody arrangement and even the basic carbody is very similar. E-33's offered Virginian , N&W , NH, PC and CR paint schemes. E-44's offer PRR,PC,PC-PRR paintouts,CR blue and CR paintouts ,Amtrak and Muskingum  Electric. There were 12 E-33's and 65 E-44's and 2 -E-50's  . I know this has been asked before but I believe that Bachmann is missing an opportunity by not offering this locomotive . PRR still sells the PC is growing in popularity as is Conrail and model railroaders run electrics without catenary !! I have heard that the E-33's did not sell well and that is the reason that the E-44 has not been produced. With todays limited runs lower numbers could be produced to better match customer demand.  -------------------------------Thanks for listening ,  Ken

Doneldon

Quote from: keystonefarm on October 01, 2014, 05:03:48 PM
With todays limited runs lower numbers could be produced to better match customer demand.

Ken-

AND, still have the risk of getting stuck with unsold, unpopular inventory.

-- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on October 01, 2014, 05:52:43 PM
With todays limited runs lower numbers could be produced to better match customer demand.

Ken-

-- D

About as much chance as I have in asking for a typical Canadian National or Canadian Pacific rtr steam locomotive built to Spectrum quality and price.

About zero to none.

Cheers

Roger T.

keystonefarm

Quote from: rogertra on October 01, 2014, 05:56:37 PM
Quote from: Doneldon on October 01, 2014, 05:52:43 PM

Ken-

-- D

About as much chance as I have in asking for a typical Canadian National or Canadian Pacific rtr steam locomotive built to Spectrum quality and price.

About zero to none.

Cheers

Roger T.

Business is risk. Certain roadnames will sell PRR being one of them. Look at the B&O EM-1 . Bachmann took a risk with that loco.  ----------------- Ken

ACY

Although it is true that the Pennsylvania railroad is a very popular railroad,  I can list several reasons why the E-44s will probably not be produced at this time. One issue is that the E-44s run on caternary which is difficult and very time consuming to accurately model. Only a few European companies make preassembled caternary and that would be inaccurate for North American railroads. Further Bachmann is currently producing the GG-1s so what relatively little demand there is for Electric locomtives that can run on caternary is satisfied by that model. Additionally several Amtrak models and the E-33s are still readily available which is a testament tovthe weak sales since the E-33s have been out of production for at least 10 years I think. The E-33 would be more of a niche market than the EM-1 since steam locomotives can be run on almost any layout, while an electric pretty much requires the purchaser to have access to a layout with caternary which is very time consuming even if it isn't live.

Bucksco

Bachmann has no plans to produce an E-44.

wiley209

Too bad; it would be interesting to see Bachmann make an E-44 in HO-scale. Or if not, Athearn, Atlas or Walthers would also be likely candidates.
An E-44 locomotive can also be seen in the original 1971 version of "Everybody Sleeps" on "Sesame Street," near the end when a freight train speeds through a station (possibly on the Northeast Corridor line, as a lot of stuff on the show was filmed in the New York area) without even waking up a sleeping man on the platform!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yYX__GwDs0

Doneldon

Quote from: wiley209 on October 06, 2014, 10:10:13 PM
it would be interesting to see Bachmann make an E-44 in HO-scale. Or if not, Athearn, Atlas or Walthers would also be likely candidates.

wiley-

Not really. These manufacturers will not make an E-44 for the same reason as the B'man; it's a financially idea.

-- D

J3a-614

Quote from: Doneldon on October 07, 2014, 12:03:37 AM
Not really. These manufacturers will not make an E-44 for the same reason as the B'man; it's a financially [bad] idea.

-- D

I have to admit I wonder why that would be so.  PRR GG-1s sell well enough, and they "need" overhead wires, too.  We currently have another manufacturer making MP-54s, not to mention the various trolleys over the years (and Bachmann has some nice ones out right now). 

I wonder why it would be that electrics would be so limited, at least in terms of Northeastern US examples.  Not saying any comments on these lines are wrong, just wondering why this would be so.

Now, would anyone be interested in a PRR P-5/P-5a (4-6-4 electric, or 2-C-2)?  Handled most of the freight in the GG-1 era. . .

ACY

Quote from: J3a-614 on October 07, 2014, 12:34:47 AM
I have to admit I wonder why that would be so.  PRR GG-1s sell well enough, and they "need" overhead wires, too.
The PRR GG-1 is the most well known electric locomotive in North America excluding modern trains like bullet trains etc. 99% of those that know or recognize a GG-1 have not heard of or recognize an E-44 or an E-33 for that matter. The casual train fan only knows of the PRR Tuscan Red or Brunswick Green GG-1 and does not know of any other electric locomotives from that era. The casual fan doesn't mind running a GG-1 without catenary whereas the serious modeler will not run an electric unless they have catenary, so being that the majority of E-44 sales would be to only serious modelers that limits the sales to primarily those who have access to a layout with catenary and that is not very many people.

However, if someone were to order thousands of E-44 locomotives at full price I am sure a company would be willing to produce them.

ebtnut

ACY has stated one of the prime tenants of model production - familiarity/popularity of the prototype.  Virtually anyone who has some interest in trains knows of the GG-1.  Even folks outside of trains may be familiar with the loco via its connections to industrial designer Robert Loewy.  The E-33 had the advantage of being offered in a number of different road names which helped spread its appeal. 

It's the same reason you see repeated offerings of the same road names - PRR, NYC, B&O, ATSF, SP for those of us of an earlier generation.  They were big roads that covered many states and were familiar to lots of folks who watched the trains roll through town or even just sitting at a grade crossing.  There is also the numbers game.  A small short line might have a couple of locos, which might or might not be the same design.  The Pennsy once had more than 3,000 Consolidations alone!  Nobody can have just one  ;)  If you are a Bachmann, and you want to move 10,000 units, you want them to appeal to as many folks as possible.  It's all about marketing. 

keystonefarm

Quote from: Yardmaster on October 03, 2014, 08:05:29 AM
Bachmann has no plans to produce an E-44.

Thanks for the reply. My next idea is to have a walkway up E-44 body produced in rapid prototyping to turn the E-33 into an E-44. Other than the number of steps and some dummy mu receptacles on the front and rear handrails the E-33 walk way down is almost perfect for an E-44. Even the handrails are the same. Will be interesting to see what the design/printing costs are .
Regarding other PRR electrics especially the P 5/P 5a classes. It's my understanding that a manufacturer (non brass )will be offering one in the future. ---------------- Ken