Need Help with deciding which DCC Decoder is required

Started by pramodisha, October 03, 2014, 01:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pramodisha

Dear Friends,

I am based in India and have purchased 2 Nos. of Bachmann Spectrum 1:48 Scale On30 Narrow Gauge 2-6-0 Steam Locomotive and Tender, D&RGW No. 136.

As you may be aware that these do not come with DCC sound fitted.

Now I want to add sound to my locos.

Kindly advise me how to go about it and which parts/components will I need for the same.

Thank you in Advance
Pramod Agrawal.

Stevelewis

Unfortunately  these  locos  are  NOT Digital  ready  (NO decoder socket)  they  have  to  be  hard  wired  that  means  you  will have  to  solder connections  from  the  decoder  to  Motor,  Pickups  & light.

I  did the  job recently  it  was  reasonably  easy,  but  if  you are not familiar wuth  this  sort  of  thing  it  may be a bit  daunting,

Removal of the  loco body  is  a little  strange   if you go down the   list  of  posts you will see my post  re  advice on how to  remove the loco body.

I used  a Hattons small   decoder  from which I simply  removed the  plug and soldered  the connections     (  www.ehattons.com  they  ship  to India  &  are  reliable  )

If you intend to fit  sound  then you are going to have to  source  a  sound sound  decoder ....cant advise you on  that  but   may  have difficulty in space for  speaker,  unless you run the cable into the  tender

I hope  this  helps you

Regards    Steve    ( North  Wales  UK)
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Stevelewis

Hi Again    I  should  have  said  in  my  other  reply,  that  the  2-6-0  was  Bachmann's  first 0n30 steam loco  and  it  was  designed  before  DCC digital  was in general  use ,

All other  Bachmann 0n30  locos  except  the  tram ( streetcar),   do not  have   the  same issues,  as  they  are  supplied  Decoder  fitted ( some  with  sound also) or in the  case of  the  Shay  DCC ready  with socket ( 8 pin),  Unless its  a  sound Shay which  comes (obviously!)   fitted.
Steve
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

mabloodhound

Definitely visit Harold's website for details on how to do this.   He has a lot of great stuff there.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security