News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

slow speed

Started by Mr. C, October 04, 2014, 02:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. C

I have a 70 ton 3 truck climax that I think could run faster than it does. Is there a way to increase factory speed,and how do you do it?

rogertra

Much above 10 to 15 mph is approaching warp speed for these locos.

Usual max. speed was around the 8 to 10 mph range.

If your locomotive is running slow, really slow, like at scale walking speed, then it's about right.

Cheers

Roger T.

Doneldon

Mr. C-

These geared locomotives were designed to put great power on the rails and to track like mountain goats, but they had no speed at all. These locos typically ran on poorly made track with steep grades and tight turns. Their loads tended to be very heavy, like ore cars and enormous logs. They often ran on what were essentially temporary tracks, with all of the sloppy work you'd expect. Not only would speed interfere with the power they needed for their large loads on challenging track, it might even put them on the ground. There were examples of trackage which met reasonable engineering standards but the loads were still huge so the gears, small wheels and huge power demands weren't diminished.

I've always found the busy animation on geared locos to be among their main charms and it would be much harder to enjoy that if the locos were going at anything much more than a crawl.

You have an interesting and specialized locomotive in your Climax. Try to appreciate it for the unique bit of railroad history it represents. I predict you'll come to love it.
                           -- D

richg

As was said, about 10 mph would probably be max.
Use the below method to figure out speed. Actually pretty simple.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~trains/rroperat.htm

Search you tube for prototypical speed of a geared loco. We see this question once in a while. The piston speed is fast but the loco speed is quite slow. This type of loco is geared down quite a lot.

Rich

RAM

Mr C,  I do not know where you live, but if you are near the east or west coast, there are still many geared locomotives on tourist lines.  If you live in the flat middle of the country, forget it.  Where ever you live, go to cassrailroad.com.  You can spend alot of time reading about the history of the locomotive they have and the history of the cass railroad.  you can also find alot of films on youtube of geared locomotives in action.

Mr. C

Thanks everyone for your input and the websites you suggest for more info.
I will truly treasure this engine.