News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam Headlights not working on DCC.

Started by rogertra, October 03, 2014, 09:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

I have installed some non sound DCC decoders into several Bachmann DCC "ready" steam locos as a quick and inexpensive way to get DCC up and running.  The locos are 2-8-0s and 4-8-2s, both light and heavy versions.

All the engines came with the 8 pin DCC plug on the circuit board.  However, none of the headlights work on any of these engines.  While it's not really a major issue, considering steam didn't run with headlights on during daylight until quite late into the steam era, it would be nice if I could get the headlights to work.

I have an NCE system using NCE PowerCab throttles and I program the engines using JMRI on a separate programming track.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Roger T?

richg

Brand of decoder?

First thing. Put your meter probes on the proper light pins on the decoder PC board. You should see about 12 VDC with the lights selected if the decoder is working properly.
Sure you know this
Pin 7 blue is plus common.
Pin 2 yellow rear light
Pin 6 white front light

Rich

Hunt

Assuming all else is as it should be; the usual suspect is the number 1 pin of plug on the decoder wiring harness has not been inserted into the number 1 pin hole of the socket on the locomotive PCB.

Unplug decoder at the PCB socket, turn plug 180 degrees and reinsert.  Now even though the Power Cab displays "L" indicating the  head light being on, Press the Headlight button to turn it off and press a second time to turn headlight on. 

Hunt

more  – if the issue is plug and socket pin connection orientation issue, the locomotive will run opposite the direction selected on the throttle.

richg

Quote from: Hunt on October 03, 2014, 10:53:00 PM
Assuming all else is as it should be; the usual suspect is the number 1 pin of plug on the decoder wiring harness has not been inserted into the number 1 pin hole of the socket on the locomotive PCB.

Unplug decoder at the PCB socket, turn plug 180 degrees and reinsert.  Now even though the Power Cab displays "L" indicating the  head light being on, Press the Headlight button to turn it off and press a second time to turn headlight on. 

I keep forgetting about that reversal issue as I always figured out the pins. Thanks for the reminder. I do remember reading that in the Bachmann forums sometime ago.

Rich

rogertra

Thanks for tips.

The locos do run forward when forward on the forward button on the throttle is selected, so that's not the problem.

I'll get the meter out tomorrow and test the the pins etc. and report back.

It just seems strange that all five locos, 2 x 2-8-0s and one each light and heavy 4-8-2 and a P2K 0-8-0 all have this problem.

All are equipped with the NCE DS13SRP decoder.  "This decoder is designed for HO scale DCC Ready locomotives equipped with an NMRA 8-pin DCC socket.  EPF (Extended packet format) plug-in decoder (version 3.5) with 8-pin plug and wiring harness.  4 functions and 15 different lighting effects......"

Cheers

Roger T.

Hunt

When decoder and locomotive to tender connected correctly   -- Take one locomotive and reset the CVs to their default value.  Use the NCE DCC system (without Decoder Pro) to reset the decoder CVs. Use Program Track and to CV 30 enter 2.

After CVs reset, run locomotive on main track using address 3 and check headlight, if still not working, refer to NCE DS13SRP D13SRP instructions and check CV 33 and CV 120 value for headlight effect.