Which Sounddecoder for a 2-4-2 steam engine Item No. 91198?

Started by ORIONRA, October 05, 2014, 05:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ORIONRA

I live in Switzerland. I run my Trains on DCC (Massoth) System. I have just purchased a Bachmann large Scale 2-4-2 engine.
Now I would like to install a DCC Sounddecoder to connect to the 8 pin socket which is already installed.
Which manufacturer offers the product which is compatible to this 8 pin socket (plug and play) and has the right Sound for this steam engine?
Personally I do like the Soundtraxx Tsunamy Sound.
Can you help me?
Many thanks in advance!
Best regards Rolf Weinmann   

Kevin Strong

With regard to which decoders come standard with an 8-pin NMRA connector, you'd have to check with each manufacturer's web site for that. I've seen versions available from many manufacturers with and without such a connector. This is a small loco, so you'll probably be able to get away with a decoder with a 1 - 2 amp rating without any worries. I wouldn't go less than 1 amp, though, unless you know you're never going to be bogging it down with a train longer than a small handful of cars.

In terms of sound, there's no "right" or "wrong" sound for a loco like that, except that you'll probably want to find one that has a lighter-sounding chuff indicative of a small loco. TCS, Zimo, ESU, Tsunami (Soundtraxx), QSI... they all make very good motor/sound decoders. Most of these manufacturers have sound samples on their web sites where you can hear sample sounds.

Good luck!

Later,

K

edit - clarified manufacturer list. Thanks, YM

ORIONRA

Many thanks Kevin for your Support. I will now continue searching from the various manufacturers.
I wonder why Bachmann does not give a list of the Producers of such Sounddecoders which are compatible to their products.
This would save a lot of searching and time involvement for the consumer.
Greetings

Rolf   

Kevin Strong

Quote from: ORIONRA on October 09, 2014, 07:51:47 AM
I wonder why Bachmann does not give a list of the Producers of such Sounddecoders which are compatible to their products.
I can see where something like that would be of benefit, but decoder manufacturers have a tendency to introduce updated decoders fairly regularly. I'd imagine any kind of list would be out of date not long after it was compiled. In theory, a decoder built to the DCC standard with a compatible plug should work. ... in theory. ;)

Later,

K

ORIONRA

Many thanks Kevin. You are great!
Have a nice Sunday!

Rolf