Lighting functions of the Bachmann 44915 decoder?

Started by JimJim, October 07, 2014, 11:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimJim

Hello All,
Does anyone know what the lighting functions of the Bachmann 44915 decoder are beyond on and off if any?
More specifically does this decoder support flashing or strobe function?
Thank you for your input.
Jim
"Uhh...I didn't know it was 'impossible' I just made it work...sorry!"

Hunt

Click Here for the decoder instructions. It is a very basic decoder, lighting effects are:  on, dim or off. Refer to  CV 51 and CV 52.

JimJim

Thank you for your response.
I've got the instruction sheet that came with the decoder that lists the CV functions.
You've confirmed what I suspected- -a solid decoder with simple functions.
Any recommendations on decoders that support strobe or flashing functions; no matter the brand?
Thank you again for your input.

Hunt

I don't make recommendations for DCC decoders without lots more information on which to base a recommendation.  However, FYI - Bachmann partners with SoundTraxx. SoundTraxx makes decoders without sound in addition to their decoders with sound.

Do visit the websites for the following to understand what they offer.
Digitrax
TCS – Train Control System
NCE
Lenz
MRC

JimJim

Hello Hunt,
Well, you asked...So here goes...
Here's the project:
I bought a rotary snowplow from the fine folks at Athearn. It is a DC powered (analog)- -functioning rotary plow, with a dummy EMD F7B "Power" unit- -talk about an oxymoron!
I figured I'd just do a body swap for a Blue Box frame and motor for the OEM dummy on my analog pike- -and life would be great.
Well as the phrase goes, "the best laid plans of..."
I was able to power the the F7B "Power" unit with a Blue Box analog unit and the body swap.
Then, as the fickle finger of fate intervened, I upgraded to a digital (DCC) system- -the Bachmann E-Z Command system, with the 5-amp power booster, soon to be the Dynamis DCC system. This will give me access to the higher CV functions that I seek.
I contacted the great folks at Athearn and they said that the snowplow consist was never meant to be run on a digital pike- -let alone powering the "Power" unit.
They have offer advice and support on this conversion project. I'm still updating them on what I'm doing; including all posts like this. I'm also preparing a article for the NMRA magazine on this project.
I've figured out how to convert the Blue Box F7B analog (D/C) unit to digital (DCC).
The scheme is to convert the snowplow from analog to digital and also include forward facing LED lighting with a reward facing red strobe or flashing unit for a prototypical operation in limited visibility scenarios.
My quest:
I'm looking for a decoder (no matter the manufacturer) that will provide the strobe or flashing function to power the trailing LED, or provide power to a flashing LED unit from the decoder lighting function.
Because it's a relatively simple installation I am only seeking advice on two (2) function decoders that have this option. If I need to upgrade to a four (4) function decoder, so be it.
Again, thank you all for your comments.

Hunt

JimJim,

Nice project but I do not have convenient access to the Athearn equipment you are using. So ...

Since this is the Bachmann site and Bachmann partners with SoundTraxx
Click Here
Pick the SoundTraxx DCC Mobile decoder that best fits your requirements, the 2-function MC1 or the 4-function MC2. These decoders have the lighting effects you want and motor control. Be sure that your Athearn motor does not exceed a 1 amp stall current if you use decoder to control and deliver power to motor.  If you use the decoder just for the lighting effects you must connect a  100 ohm 2W Resistor to the decoder motor leads (orange and gray wires) instead of connection to the motor.

Click Here for links to the Mobile Decoder Documentation

BTW Athearn also partners with SoundTraxx for decoders.

JimJim

Hello Hunt,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
To clarify, the motor function outputs on the decoder will power the motor that drives the plow blade. There is no motor that drives the unit , in essence it's a dummy. The address will control the plow blade. I'm planning on MU-ing it with the pusher loco; an F7B.
According to the Athearn folks the motor draw will not exceed the capacity of the decoder.
The lighting will come off the function outputs. I realize that if I go with LED's, and the decoder is not "LED Ready" I will need to add resistors.
Again, thanks for the comments, always appreciated.