News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1/35 scale

Started by Rollin Mayham, October 07, 2014, 01:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollin Mayham

Is 1/35 scale within the scale for Large gauge track?

JerryB

I'm not certain what you mean by "large gauge track," so this answer might not be what you are looking for.

If you mean the 45mm (1.77") track gauge most commonly used for large scale trains, that track gauge at 1:35 scale would represent a prototype gauge of 62".  There were (or perhaps still are) some 5' (60") gauge trains. These were typically in the early days when there were no 'standards' and each railroad picked the gauge that they thought best. England especially had several 5' gauge RRs in the early days.

If you are asking if the 45mm track can be used with 1:35 scale models, the track gauge would be be ~9% larger than 1:32 scale standard gauge that is typically modeled on it. Close enough for some, but way off for others!!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

steamrusty

Hey,
1:35 will often be used for military models. Narrow gauge railroads mostly represent 2 feet trench, later also zivil lines with old military and other material.
For Standard gauge lines will be used 1:32 material on 45mm track.
steamrusty

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

1/35 of 2 ft would be 0.6857",

which is fairly close to (5.3% wider than) standard HO gauge track (= 0.651").

Given the track and all the drive mechanisms available in HO, I would overlook the slightly narrower (22.8" vs. prototype 24") gauge.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Rollin Mayham

Okay I know it has been a while but what I am asking is if the German 1/35 scale Trumpeter Leopold Railway gun could fit on G gauge track the reason I ask is because I am wanting to spend about 200 dollars on a model kit that would be converted to a working gun using BBs I want to run it on a track with live steam trains while not having to build everything such as track so if you could please tell me what to look for and if I would be better of scratch building it or getting a kit. I am sorry I wasn't clear about that earlier.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

What you need to do is find one of the models already built and measure the gauge of the trucks/wheels.

G gauge track is approx. 1.75" (45mm) between rails, you'll probably have to move the wheels on the model truck outward to keep it from falling off.

You may be able to replace the truck with something that'll work (I don't know what however).

Bob D.

armorsmith

Rollin,
You need to do a little research to see what gauge the prototype Trumpeter ran on. I am not familiar with that equipment so making a recommendation is difficult. One solution might be to alter the trucks that come with the kit to re-gauge them to 45mm gauge. Might be a no brainer, then again maybe not, depends on you modeling skills.
Bob C.

tac

Leopold and all the K5 railroad guns ran on standard gauge track - 4ft 8.5in.  The nearest gauge/scale to that is Gauge 1, which is 1/32nd scale, and runs on 45mm gauge track.

So if you have any 45mm gauge track, as commonly called 'G Scale' then the model will run on it, providing that you widen the distance between the wheels to make it so.

However, having built the model about three years ago, it's going to be VERY hard to do it unless you have the use and skillset to operate a small lathe and remake the axles, as well as widening the many trucks of the model to accommodate them.

Sorry.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Rollin Mayham

I thank you guys for your help however I think after doing a little more research I am not going to get the kit. Its not in the budget with me moving across the country. I thank you though.