News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

TWO ' MODERNIZED 4-4-0 ' guestions

Started by MarkInLA, October 10, 2014, 07:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

Hi gang. I haven't been active for a long time as am in a funk about being forced to vacate my apartment of 19 years including of course ripping out my beloved 35' long HO standard gauge switchback RR. due to landlord employing the Ellis act (search Ellis act and you'll know what it is easier than my explaining it here ). Anyway, I have been running a little lately and aside from this loco being too light weight (slips on a 2.5- 3% grade if more than 4-5 cars) I just noticed that it has no bell. Is this correct !? Also I have whistle volume CV at 254 and master volume at 255 and yet the whistle remains way too low compared with cuffs, blow down, bell. Are they all this way ? While underway the whistle is too anemic. Is there a simple modification or is mine damaged ?  Thanks, Mark

Hunt

Suggest you reset decoder to factory default settings, to CV 8, enter 8. While the whistle many not be as loud as you would like, SoundTraxx has balanced the sounds volumes to the sound files used in this decoder.  The default value for CV 129 – Whistle Volume Control is 255, which is maximum volume.

If you are still using a NCE Power Cab and the Bell button does not activate the bell sound, then refer to section ASSIGNING THE BELL FUNCTION page 58 in the Power Cab System Reference Manual,  Rev 1.65.

Hunt

MarkInLA

Thanks, But what about the missing bell on the non decorated one ? The adds show this but who's going to notice. Why does Bmann do this ? It's not fair. At lease put it in the box with the other choices of trucks and pilots .....

Irbricksceo

My modern 4-4-0 had a bell, did yours come new?
Modeling NYC in N

ebtnut

On Ma and Pa No. 6 (the prototype for the model) the bell is located between the steam dome and the generator.  If it got broken off, you can obtain a brass replacement part from Bowser/Cal-Scale or Precision Scale (PSC). 

MarkInLA

Gents I got it from Bachmann because the said they couldn't repair my torn wires on my 2-8-0 and thus offered me this. If you look at the Bachmann Spectrum steam list in their on-line store you can see the undeco ones have no bell ! l could have chosen a deco one and should have. I just didn't catch it in the pics. I suppose I deserve the NOBELL PIECE PRIZE !

electrical whiz kid

Mark;
As was suggested, purchase one from Cal-scale, think about where you would like to locate said bell, and install it.  It doesn't matter too much who did what-it's your money.  Oh by the way:  Try "Nobel".  You might win.

Rich C.

Irbricksceo

NOBELL Piece Prize... that is a terrible pun. Kudos.
Modeling NYC in N

Doneldon

Quote from: MarkInLA on October 14, 2014, 06:56:23 AM
If you look at the Bachmann Spectrum steam list in their on-line store you can see the undeco ones have no bell !

Mark-

You've got to be kidding! This is outrageous. No bell? How can Bachmann justify this omission? This is just completely
wrong. There is no excuse for Bachmann failing to include a bell. It's the sort of thing that costs them pennies but is a
pain in the patoo for customers. I have to say, I an very disappointed to learn this. And I'm sorry you had to
learn the hard way.
                                 -- D

ALCO0001

Answer!
Call service and tell them your bell was missing and you are not happy with this! Your the boss that keeps them working  when you buy there products.
Jack
Made in China REBUILT BETTER IN THE U S A

MarkInLA

Thanks much fellow hoggers ! I will do just that in morning. Man 'O man I am getting really fraid and frazzled over the many repair problems I have gone through since my first HO Bmann loco/sound..Here's even another one ! : This same engine, Mod.4-4-0's whistle is anemic..I did the CV 30-2 AND 8-8 dance. the default whistle volume is at 255 ! The master volume is 244 and whistle is still quieter than the chuffs ! So I raised CV 129 to 251 ...4 more to 255 ain't even worth trying !! I feel like a guinny pig for them. I am so not a satisfied customer ! Engines I wanted to keep have gotten sent back expecting a repair done. They advertise 'repair' or such, and instead confiscate the engine (for decoder and who knows what) after I've paid a second shipping fee (first was at on-line dealer for) then inform you it can't be repaired..Yeah, right. Then offer choices of completely different engine types and eras that you never were lusting for in the first place ! Ugh ! Ive typed dozens of posts like this. The consolidation I lost to this one now looks like it's available again ! The 4-4-0 is a very nice engine and runs smoothly. But it' not heavy enough to not slip with 5-6 standard cars up a 3%..AND it has no bell !!  [exhale here]: PHeeeeeeeeew........

TwinZephyr

Quote from: MarkInLA on October 15, 2014, 02:25:47 AM
This same engine, Mod.4-4-0's whistle is anemic..I did the CV 30-2 AND 8-8 dance. the default whistle volume is at 255 ! The master volume is 244 and whistle is still quieter than the chuffs ! So I raised CV 129 to 251 ...4 more to 255 ain't even worth trying !!

The problem you describe with the whistle volume is not unique to your locomotive.  It is not unique to sound equipped Bachmann locomotives.  It is common throughout the entire SoundTraxx Tsunami product line.  The best you can do is to maximize the whistle volume CV value and reduce the individual CV values for all other sounds.

You have already maximized the whistle volume.  Now if you want the whistle to be louder than the exhaust you need to turn down the exhaust volume.

An alternate solution is to replace the Tsunami sound decoder with a different brand decoder that has sound effects better suited to your preferences.

ebtnut

I mentioned above that I thought the model was one of the modern Richmond 4-4-0's, and it turns out it is the Baldwin model.  My bad.  Mark is right, the pics in the catalog page do indicate that some of the models do not have a bell, which is indeed strange.  Still, you can get the necessary brass part if Bachmann doesn't have a replacement.

MarkInLA

Again thanks for replies and advice. Yeah, I thought same thing; lower the chuff and rod sounds to hear whistle better. Then chuffs become anemic. But I guess I'l go that way... :'(