Spectrum 82199 0-4-4-0 Undecorated Shay Steam Locomotive.

Started by trainstrainstrains, October 12, 2014, 11:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainstrainstrains

I have just been on the phone with Bachman parts, they sell only the whole Cylinder Assembly for $100,  I do not want to change the entire assembly to replace that tiny part, so either I find someone who has one from a "for parts" Shay or I build something to hold the rod in place. All comments most welcome.

trainstrainstrains

I've been looking into sounds and run across  Shay *73415 LOKSOUND SELECT 21 PIN DCC, 21MTC interface ,  priced similarly to mylocosound  and apparently high quality. What is your opinion on this product?

Kevin Strong

Quote from: trainstrainstrains on October 21, 2014, 03:59:48 PM
My Shay has one G811X-0ZU02 broken

That looks like it's just a cap ring on the universal joint. You can probably find a washer or something similar and screw it in place to replace the plastic piece. You might also try Plastruct plastic tubing. It's got pretty thick walls, and you will probably find some in the diameter you need. Cut a thin slice off of the tube, then file some groves so the universal joint pins can pivot freely. There are two such caps--one on each universal. You can always take the second one apart to use as a guide.

I've been looking into sounds and run across  Shay *73415 LOKSOUND SELECT 21 PIN DCC, 21MTC interface ,

That's a DCC motor/sound decoder for HO scale, so it's not going to work for the Shay. ESU does make G-scale compatible DCC decoders, and they do run on regular DC. I've heard ESU decoders, and they're very good. What I don't know is whether you can trigger the bell and whistle while running the loco on regular DC. However, for the price, you can get a Phoenix, which is designed specifically as a standalone sound system.

Later,

K

scottychaos

Minor tangent, that has nothing to do with the OP's questions! ;)
A Shay is not considered an 0-4-4-0.
The Whyte classification system does not apply to Shays, Heislers, Climaxes and other "geared" steam engines, because they dont have traditional drivers,  pilot wheels, or trailing wheels.  Its one of the few drawbacks to the Whyte system, which otherwise works great to describe steam locomotives.

A Shay would technically be classified as a B-B locomotive, same as a 4-axle diesel.
A three truck Shay would be a B-B-B.

Scot

trainstrainstrains

About my Shay, yes it is the cap ring broken in half,  I decided to make the missing half from a piece of black plastic , the result is not perfect but ok. When screwing it onto the cylinder it is attached to I discovered that that too is cracked. Not a big problem but I need to know the best type of glue for Bachmann plastic. Also if there is a way of bonding different types of plastic to Bachmann plastic. Thank you in advance.