News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoke unit for Pacific Flyer Set 00692

Started by CTripnc, October 14, 2014, 06:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTripnc

Does anyone have any recommendations or comments regarding installing a smoke unit/generator in the engine contained within the set?

Jhanecker2

Almost every modeler on this forum will tell you not to add a smoke unit . They are not realistic in operation  and will  increase the amount  of clean up you will have to do on your tracks and scenery .  We won't even go into the air pollution problems .  John2.

ACY

I do not suggest installing a smoke unit into that locomotive.

Doneldon

CT-

I have a recommendation about putting  smoke unit into a loco: Don't do it without knowing the consequences of that action.

First of all, the 0-6-0 is pretty small. I would bet that you will have to do major internal surgery to squeeze a smoker in. And when you get done, you'll have a frankly poor representation of what steam and smoke really look like, although it is pretty goof at depositing greasy glycerin on your track, locomotive and scenery. That crud will hold dirt, leading to operational problems and necessitating more frequent cleaning.

Now, there is a good reason to do this despite the inherent problems: Adding smoke can thrill young children. Just use it rarely.
                                                                                                                                                                                             -- D

CTripnc