News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Radius

Started by Rielag, October 14, 2014, 09:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

It's certainly the conservative play with regard to the diesels.  You should have no troubles from the 4 axle ones.   I can't comment on the 2-6-0 steamer since we don't have any.
Good luck and have fun :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

the 2-6-0- will work on 18r with no problems. I have both the standard line and the alco 2-6-0 and have no trouble with them. you can also run a small 2-8-0 like the roundhouse one with no problems. btw, if you can find one, the roundhouse 2-8-0 is a gutsy puller, mine will pull 10 cars or more around 18r on a 4% upgrade.

one thing I have found is that steamers tend to be pickier on track than diesels, due to  the rigid wheelbase of the drive wheels. it is best to make sure all your rail joints are level. sometimes the rail ends are bent slightly up or down, the resultant hump or dip can cause derailment problems. this can be easily corrected by leveling the joint and soldering it so it stays level. the problem is most severe on the outside rail of a curve.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear Rielag,

Here is a thread with a 18"-22" dual-oval 4x8 pictured:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,12474.0.html

Hope this Helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Rielag

Thanks all. I found a 4x8 on "layoutvision.com" that I will probably go with.
Fall Mills RR. Does not look to difficult and it fits my current space requirement.
                                                                           Gene

Doneldon

Quote from: ACY on October 21, 2014, 04:52:40 AM
I understand your view on my findings, but what we do know is some percentage of many HO locomotives will not be able to negotiate 18" radius curves even though the majority are capable. And the only cause in many cases is due to variation present in mass production runs. I still think it is reasonable to believe that some small percentage such as 1% may be affected.

ACY-

I don't disagree with your findings; my concern was generalizing from faulty data to the overall population of Bachmann locomotives. And, I think we actually agree as to the principle; there is a certain percentage of locomotives which vary so far from their intended circumstances that they don't perform the same as the models which do conform. Notice that I didn't say better or worse. I just mean different. After all, some variance from the ideal or the average can be desirable. If we didn't have people who could do things with some colored goop and a paint brush, we wouldn't have any of the world's beautiful art to enjoy. Or wonderful, creative, realistic model railroads to inspire us in our own modeling endeavors.
                                                                                                                                         -- D

jward

Quote from: Rielag on October 21, 2014, 07:25:28 PM
Thanks all. I found a 4x8 on "layoutvision.com" that I will probably go with.
Fall Mills RR. Does not look to difficult and it fits my current space requirement.
                                                                           Gene

that railroad is designed using atlas switches, and flexible track. note the odd radii on the plan. if you want to build it using ez track you will have to redesign it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA