News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco to Tender Wire Harness

Started by Scott_ATL, November 26, 2014, 01:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott_ATL

I have two Bachmann 2-8-0s and a 4-8-2 that I would like to convert to DCC. I like the idea of putting the decoders in the tenders, and the DCC-ready Spectrum tenders are perfect for that. What I'm having trouble with is finding a source for the wire harness that runs from the loco to the tender, which also has the plug to connect to the tender. On the parts page for the 2-10-2, it shows the harness I need attached to a PCB and the motor. Is it possible to just buy the harness with the plug (as I don't need a 2-10-2 motor and PCB)?

Thanks!

kmcsjr

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/N_Scale/Bachmann/2-8-0/bachman_n_scale_2_8_0.htm

Just a thought. Not sure if you saw it. I think if you find a board you will have as much wiring and soldering to do, if not more.

Scott_ATL

Thanks kmcsjr, I did see that and I'm cool with that installation for the 2-8-0s. The 4-8-2 is the reason I want to do the tender mount for the decoder.  It is the first run version and the removal of the weight in the boiler causes traction loss in my loco (did a test-run w/o the weight). Maybe I'll just keep searching for an already DCC equipped 2-8-0 and a DCC-ready 4-8-2 that already have the harness to the tenders. Since the new Berkshire 2-8-4 is now delayed until Spring 2015, my train pocket change just increased.

Mike C

You could just drill a small hole in the rear of the boiler and run the decoder motor wires into the tender. then use the tender pick up wires to power the decoder.