News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N&W J 4-8-4 constantly derails

Started by riff99, October 29, 2014, 11:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawaiiho

I have three 4-8-4 Bachmanns, None of them de-rail on the outer main with the 26 inch radius curves, but all three will occasionally de-rail on the 22 inch  curves of the inner main.

I gave up on trying to run the 4-8-4 's on the oval that has the 22 inch curves. I tried most of what has been suggested and finally since the outer main didn't seem to be a problem; I just run them on that track.

riff99

I appreciate you sharing that.  I've been using e-z track mainly because we tend to switch up our setups every week or two, and yes, the 22" e-z track hasn't been without it's issues; or the 18".  I'm pretty sure e-z track doesn't have a 24" corner to try, and our area to put the tracks down is limited to about 8 1/5' x 5'.  I'm not sure a 26" radius will fit in those constraints, so I'm thinking of trying Atlas True-Track or Kato roadbed track (forget it's name).  I'm sure they have a 24" radius to try and I hear their switches are more reliable, as I have quite a few rolling stock cars that do NOT like the e-z track switches, even when I switch at seriously slow speed.  Most of my rolling stock are Bachmann Silver Series cars, or Athearn Blue Box.  They are nice cars and all 'should' make the switch easily, but for some reason some don't.  Especially the 50' All-Door box cars.  They're beautiful but just hate switching track at any speed.  So the plan is for anything slightly bigger than 22" and nice switches that actually get the job done without worry.

hawaiiho

Quote from: riff99 on November 03, 2014, 04:36:23 PM
I appreciate you sharing that.  I've been using e-z track mainly because we tend to switch up our setups every week or two, and yes, the 22" e-z track hasn't been without it's issues; or the 18".  I'm pretty sure e-z track doesn't have a 24" corner to try, and our area to put the tracks down is limited to about 8 1/5' x 5'.  I'm not sure a 26" radius will fit in those constraints, so I'm thinking of trying Atlas True-Track or Kato roadbed track (forget it's name).  I'm sure they have a 24" radius to try and I hear their switches are more reliable, as I have quite a few rolling stock cars that do NOT like the e-z track switches, even when I switch at seriously slow speed.  Most of my rolling stock are Bachmann Silver Series cars, or Athearn Blue Box.  They are nice cars and all 'should' make the switch easily, but for some reason some don't.  Especially the 50' All-Door box cars.  They're beautiful but just hate switching track at any speed.  So the plan is for anything slightly bigger than 22" and nice switches that actually get the job done without worry.

My experience has been much the same. I have gotten MOST of my rolling stock to work without de-rails, but I have not been able to solve the problem with the larger locomotives on the line with the 22 inch radius curves.  I didn't mention this before, BUT, frankly the larger locomotives look better on the track with the larger radius curves. The rolling stock that still gives me the most de-rails on the 22 inch radius curves are the larger passenger cars, and that IS thru the turnouts. I have very few larger freight cars. Mostly 3 bay hopper cars and they seem to do ok.

Doneldon

riff-

Isn't it magical the way a child's glee can make everything all right? I just love it.

-- D

jward

one thing that should be mentioned is that the standard ez track switches, along with the atlas snap switch, have 18r curves. your locomotive and longer cars will not do well on them and you may want to consider using #6 switches instead.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

riff99

So very true, Doneldon!   :D

It's good to know the Atlas switches act similar to the e-z track switches.  I guess that limited that choice.  I do have one #6 Bachmann turnout, as I did purchase it for specifically for the J.  I have yet to really use it though until I figured out the derail issue in general.  At least the darn thing turns right without any current issues.  Next is actually putting on the #6 and seeing how she does.  Step by step...