News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G Scale

Started by RRRookie, October 22, 2014, 09:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRRookie

I am thinking about getting into G scale traing for christmas. Currently I work with HO however would like to have a G scale traing in my yard. Now to my question. Recently purchased som Aristo Craft straight and was wondering if it will work with the Bachman G White Christmas train set. I would be grateful for any assistance.

R/RRRookie

Chuck N

If your Christmas set has hollow, rolled steel, rails, the answer is no as an easy connection.  The Aristo rails are solid metal.  Bachmann has recently introduced solid brass rail track.  I do not know if that solid track has made it into sets.  

If your B'mann track is solid, you are good to go.

Chuck

RRRookie

Thanks Chuck I have not purchased the set yet. I have to order it on line cannot find it locally here in the Charleston SC area. I will keep researching before I purchase it. Appreciate the information.

Dave/RRRookie

NarrowMinded

Don't wait too long...
Christmas is when everyone starts buying sets.

I and many others here have good luck with "www.thefavoritespot.com"

NM-Jeff

Loco Bill Canelos

TRainworld of NY may have it as well and you are closer to them so  you might get cheaper shipping.

The track in the Bachmann sets is still "steel alloy" tubular track and is not meant for outdoor use and does not connect to the aristo track without modification.  The AristoCraft track is suitable for outdoor use and will connect to the new Bachmann brass track which is made for outdoor use.

If you do not plan to ever run your trains outdoors, you may be able to modify the Bachmann Steel Alloy track to connect to your straight track.  Another option for use indoors is to buy more Bachmann steel alloy track which is available in both straight and curved sections as well as right and left hand switches.  If you plan to run trains outdoors then you must get either Bachmann track meant for outdoor use or another brand.

We welcome you to the wonderful world of Large scale trains.  The locomotive and cars in the set you want are excellent quality and are fine for outdoor use.  If you plan on lots of track additions you may also need a larger power supply to handle the greater distance to avoid power loss.  Bachmann also has larger power packs.   No matter what kind of electric train you run, careful assembly and track connection are critical to good operation.  bad connections will result in poor operation and kinked crooked track will end up with derailments and frustration.

Again welcome to the forum and feel free to ask any questions without hesitation and someone will help you out.

Have fun!!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

trainstrainstrains

I don't know if this helps but I'm also just starting on G and what I've done is to buy track locomotives and cars separately on ebay, Dash Market and if I want new on Bachman store or Wholesaletrains, this way I get exactly what I want and at good prices. Lots of good solid brass track at good prices new and used is available this way.

trainstrainstrains

I forgot to mention. Stay away from "sold as is items" If you don't want to do some repair work .  On the other hand if you like to fix things  some extremely good bargains have the "sold as is" coment. 

trainstrainstrains

Bill, what power unit would be appropriate for 60 to 70 feet of track?

Chuck N

T3

The length of track is of less importance than what is on the track.  Most steam engines have just one motor and most diesels have two motors (one per power truck).  I figure 1 amp per motor.  Smoke, lights, sound will all add to the power draw.

My USAt streamliners pull about 1/2 an amp each when the lights are on.  A streamliner with two diesels and six cars can pull about 7 amps; 4 amps for the engines a 3 for the cars.

What kind of trains are you planning to run.  Most starter set power supplies will barely handle the engine in the set.  They are usually rated at 1 amp or less.  Grades and tight curves make the engine work harder, which requires more amps.

I would recommend a minimum of 5 amps, 10 would be better.

My power supplies are 10 and 15 amps.

Brass rail is an excellent conductor.  As long as your rail joins are tight, I use a conducting grease in each join, length of track isn't much of a problem.

Chuck

RRRookie

Thanks for all the great advice guys this will be the start of a new branch to this wonderful hobby. Naturally I'll have to go slow the price range is a lot different than HO. One more question on the bar code sticker of the Aristocraft track it had European on it. I know that they are metric and we are standard but the width of the track should be the same I hope. Still looking at getting the Bachman White Christmas set and then buying solid brass curve track, just want to be sure that G scale track is the same width here and there. Again thanks for the advice.

Dave/RRRookie

Loco Bill Canelos

For 60 or 70 feet and running just the set locomotive, you may be able to get by with the pack in the set.  The set locomotive does not draw much.  Mine draw about a half amp maybe a tad more when starting pulling four passenger cars on level track.  For what you are doing anything 2 amps rated will be fine. if you will be expanding and running more than one locomotive or more than one two motored locomotives than 5 amp minimum is better yet.

As for the Aristo track, the width is the same, the word "European" relates to the style of ties, not the width between the rails.

Hope this helps.

Bill

RRRookie

That is awsome news for me and bad news for my wallet, Thanks Bill looks like I'm back on track. Thanks again to everyone else for all the advice.

Dave/RRRookie

tac

Quote from: RRRookie on October 23, 2014, 12:32:20 PM
One more question on the bar code sticker of the Aristocraft track it had European on it. Dave/RRRookie

The 'European' sticker does NOT refer to the gauge of the track, but to the actual physical spacing of the rail ties ALONG the track.  European track, which does not carry trains made up of six or eight lashed-up 250 ton locomotives, has ties that are physically spaced further apart than those found in North America.  In other words, for every foot of track, Aristocraft American-style track has fifteen rail ties, European -style track has twelve.

Mixing them up will look, uh, odd.

tac

RRRookie

Thanks tac good info

Dave/RRRookie

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi all,

I mix tie types all the time, by the time the ballast is on them folks can hardly tell the difference especially from 5 to 10 feet away.  I get compliments on how great my track looks all the time.  Another trick is to paint the sides of the rails, I always do it with a darkish grimy rust mix of acrylic paint.   I even mix brass and stainless, painting the sides of the rail disguises the differences. Whenever possible Keep the longest possible stretches the same type of track. I might do say 70 feet of one type the change over to the other type.  I have visited hundreds of layouts and cannot remember even one single instance where I even looked that close at the ties, or thought "gee look at the different ties they are using".  

I generally buy what is available at the lowest cost, and prefer used track when I can get it.

Bill