Union Pacific #19 2-4-2 Columbia years made

Started by Haddawayfan, October 22, 2014, 10:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haddawayfan

Hello everyone, I am currently planning on purchasing a Bachmann Big Haulers Union Pacific #19 2-4-2 Columbia (red wood burner). I have wanted one of these for about over 20 years as I remember first seeing it in a manual in 1994. Now, I have done research and have found out that these were first made in 1989, one came as a starter set, The Prairie Flyer (90014) and the other as just the engine and tender (91101). Unfortunately the one I'm planning to buy does not seem to have a box, so I do not know if it was once part of a Prairie Flyer set (90014) or by itself (91101).

What I am wondering is if the 91101 (engine & tender) was released after the 90014 which was a whole starter set, and also up until what year were these in production? I imagine quite a few years being that since they were apparently still available in the mid-90's as I remember. I wish Bachmann would have stamped an exact year of manufacture on their products as it is important to me mostly for nostalgic reasons.  I believe this was common in most Bachmann Big Hauler items, they would continue to be produced and released years after it was initially introduced. One example is the Royal Blue, however I find that this makes it extremely difficult to determine the exact age of a Bachmann product when buying it decades later second hand.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Fan,

Both locos are the same.  The number on the set is just for the entire set.  The locomotive in the set was sold separately as 91101.

The set was in the catalog til 1992.  The locomotive til 1993

You did your research well!

Have fun,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Haddawayfan

Thanks Bill! You are very knowledgeable about the Bachmann Big Haulers.  :) They are really one of the prettiest locomotives I've ever seen.

I'm glad that I know for sure until when they were made so at least I know that it's a circa 1989-1993 product.  The one that I'm going to buy is in mint condition, only thing is that the wire plug for the sound is loose according to the seller, is this easy to repair?

I am also planning on getting the WP&Y version (91119) though they seem even harder to find, I know those were introduced in 1992 and produced until 1995. That one is featured in the cover of the 1992 catalog.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Fan,
The WP&Y unit was reintroduced in 1998 and remained in the catalog til 2000.  The 1998 version had a new drive train.  Unfortunately I do not know how to tell the difference between the two and sadly Bachmann did not change the product number.  There may not be any external differences.  The WP&Y units were huge sellers.

You might be better off getting a:
91170   None   None   1998   ~ Loco   2-4-2, with tender painted  undec   P coal load

The loco was never made as an undecorated version til 1998 so if you find one you would definitely get the improved drive train.

Wade Colyer if you are out there do you know of a way to tell the old from the new??

I have seen hot melt glue applied while holding the plug in place, and it would also be possible to use an aftermarket connector but you would need the skills to take it apart and solder the new connectors to the wiring.

Bill

Haddawayfan

Thanks so much for the info, Bill. I might actually try to look for and purchase the 91170 Undecorated from 1998 in the future so that I know for sure that I am getting the improved drive train. Although those are styled like the more modern Pennsylvania Columbia's since they're coal burners right? The thing is I am really only after the wood burning kinds.

And like you said, I think that the improved WP&Y version from 1998-2000 is identical to the 1992-1995 ones so it doesn't seem like there would really be a way to tell the difference unless maybe by comparing it under the hood to a 91101 which I have finally purchased and will be my present for this Christmas.

I know that the main problem  with the pre-1998 ones is that the plastic gear on the rear driver axle would come loose from the solid metal axle and sling off causing the loco to not be able to run at all. Thankfully, according to the seller, this one is still running nicely so it seems that is still fine but am worried that it might inevitably happen down the road.

Loco Bill Canelos

Correct it is the more modern coal burner,  wouldn't be to hard to replace the coal load with wood.

One friend of mine fixed the gear using epoxy putty.