News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Imposible amazing transformation?

Started by trainstrainstrains, October 23, 2014, 10:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainstrainstrains

This is a crazy but I think wonderful idea inspired by Kevin Srong's unbelievable work, which I have recently had the pleasure of discovering by following the link to his blog. Transform the already gorgeous Bachmann"SPECTRUM"2-6-6-2 Saddle Tank Articulated into the amazing Baldwin  2 8 8 2t built in 1935 for Ferrocarriles Nacionales de Colombia. This perhaps by somehow segmenting it, elongating it  and adding the necessary 4 wheels ? My great grandfather was from 1910 to 1915 in charge of Colombian Railways , an absolutely fantastic Railway system that during the last 50 years disintegrated into nothingness out of shameful neglect . If someone. .Kevin can.

Chuck N

I don't know the dimensions, or what the Columbian 2-8-8-2t looks like, but AristoCraft made a 2-8-8-2 Mallet.  They are now out of business, but you might be able to find a used one and adapt it for your purposes. 

Chuck

trainstrainstrains

I was not aware of the existence of the Aristo Craft 2 8 8 2, thank you so much, I should have investigated first. I got my facts wrong. The Locomotive that I refer to built in 1921 not 1935  is mentioned towards the end of the Bachmann  video: A brief history of the  Baldwin 2-6-6-2 Articulat...: http://youtu.be/JmAiOQaqygc  . It is mentioned as being the inspiration for Proposal 8043 that was never Built . The 2 8 8 2 is a different later locomotive also bought for the Colombain Railroad at a later date, 1935. I  feel I should find more about these two and other locomotives in order to know which models exist that match the ones bought by the forgotten Colombian Railroad.

Chuck N

That is what sites like this are about.  Nobody knows everything, the sum of the parts helps build a more complete picture.

Chuck

Kevin Strong

I'd agree that the Aristo 2-8-8-2 might be a better starting point. Adding a 4th axle to the Bachmann chassis might not be the easiest of tasks. I bought one second hand with the notion of splitting it into an 0-6-0 and a 2-6-2, but the driver spacing was too compact for the loco I wanted to build. While the thought of taking and making it a 2-8-2 logging engine crossed my mind, I think I chickened out because it would require too much effort on the motor blocks. (That, and if I do a logging 2-8-2, it'll be with a B'mann 2-8-0 "Connie" as a starting point.)

Later,

K

PS, thanks for the kind words!

trainstrainstrains

I think I've just gone crazy, I write and sincerely believe I must slow down with this G scale addiction and I go and place a bid for an Aristo Craft 2-8-8-2 Mallet and I'm sure someone will surely place a higher bid than mine, (330)  but they don't.  So I win, I want to share this with you all because I consider you my friends in this. I'm writing this in this thread because it belongs here but since nobody will read it I'll post in a more recent thread also.

NarrowMinded

Every thread gets read here, people dont always reply though.

You and the forum will be better served if you keep subjects limited to the appropriate section and scale, spreading out post on the same subject in this forum leads to confusion and chaos in trying to reply.

Best to keep subjects in a simple organized fashion.

Nm-Jeff

P.S. it is easy to jump first when eager to get a project done, it does however lead to frustration and an empty wallet, do some research ask qeustions and you will be a head in time and money and less frustration.

trainstrainstrains

I apologize, I won't share excitement in the future since that appears to upset some of you. Understandably.

Loco Bill Canelos

TTT No need to apologize for your excitement, It is OK to share the excitement!!  We are glad you are hooked and excited, but post about it only in one place, and since this is a Bachmann site it is best to keep things Bachmann.  It can't hurt you to reread the the Forum Code of Conduct especially the part about not discussing other manufacturers products.  I know you mean no harm and consider this part of your learning process.

Please always feel free to come here with you questions, and to use other sites when it involves other folks products.

Most of all enjoy your Large scale trains, and excellent Bachmann products!!!!!

Bill Canelos
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

trainstrainstrains

I will most certainly never again mention other manufacturers, but in my defence do remember that as a comment to my thread Amazing transformation , senior members   recomended the Arixxxx mallet for my purpose, was in not for them I would not know of its existence, I am grateful to them for their sincerity.
I fully respect and understand the very logical idea. In Bachmann forum Bachmann trains .