News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound-decoder for 2-4-2 91199

Started by petervweimer, October 25, 2014, 10:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petervweimer

Hi from Germany,
I have a new 2-4-2T in the green/black version (91199) on order. As I plan to install sound my question is if anyone has experience with the sound-decoders from ESU (54400) and/or Uhlenbrock (36320) in these locos. I am interested in the way they may be installed (only plug in the NEM652 or is any additional soldering e.g. to the factory-installed speaker to be done?) and in the quality of the sound, especially if the volume is sufficient for the size of the loco? Any experience is welcome.
Regards
Peter   

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Peter,

I just noticed there have been no responses to your questions. I suspect itt is because most of our members are not familiar with the decoders you mentioned.  I wish I could help, but I have no experience at all with DCC so I am bumping this back to the top in the hopes  one our our members with DCC could be at least of some help or have alternate ideas.

Best wishes

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

I can't find an on-line manual for the 2-4-2, but the product description says "ready to be equipped with your choice of DCC decoder." From that, I'd presume it to have the NMRA-standard 8-pin connector somewhere onboard. I looked up the review in Garden Railways (October '11), but it made no mention of what form any kind of socket might take. It does say the instructions include how to wire it for DCC. The loco is too small for it to have the standard "large scale" socket, and Bachmann's other "DCC-ready" locos gravitate towards the 8-pin interface.

I have no experience with either of the two decoders you mention specifically. Looking at the specs for the ESU board, it's rated at 1.1 amps continuous, with a 1.8-watt audio output. Comparing to the XL (their large scale version of the same board), which has a 4.0 amp continuous rating, and a 13 watt audio output. The 1.1 amp rating should be okay for a small loco like the 2-4-2, provided you keep the trains prototypically short as well. (4 or 5 cars)

The question is, how loud do you want your sounds to be? I run my sounds on the quiet side, so I'd probably be fine with a 1.8 watt output. I like to be in the back yard and hear the loco get louder as it approaches near where I'm standing and get quieter--almost silent--as it moves away. But that's me. Other folks like to rival their teenage neighbor's stereo in terms of rattling windows and doors. If that's the case, 1.8 watts is probably going to be woefully underpowered.

Later,

K

petervweimer

Thanks for bumping Bill and thanks for helpful advice Kevin,
I found out that the loco indeed has the 8-pin-standard NEM652 connector and a speaker as well. So I probably will try the ESU decoder because of its better sound volume compared to Uhlenbrock. Is there a US-made alternative plug and play decoder with a little more "power" available?
Regards
Peter   

Kevin Strong

There aren't many "medium" decoders aimed at the 1 - 3 amp range. It seems you've got the small scale, small capacity decoders at around $100 or so, then you jump to the large scale decoders at $200. There used to be an outfit or two that took Soundtraxx Tsunami decoders and beefed them up to a 3-amp capacity to comfortably handle O scale locomotives. I failed to bookmark their site, however, and ever since then, Google has failed me in searching for them.

In terms of more volume, you're going to have to make the determination for yourself whether the decoder you choose can produce enough sound for your ears. I've got Soundtraxx Tsunami boards installed in two of my galloping geese, and even at 1 watt of power to the speaker, they're plenty loud for me. If I take them to a noisy environment like a train show, I can't hear them very well, but in the back yard, they're more than sufficient.

Later,

K