News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

old 2-4-2- with broken drive axle

Started by Howard240, October 31, 2014, 10:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard240

The axle sheared at the square pin that joins the two wheels.  I've drilled out one side from the hole on the outside of the wheel (the one with squard shaft for the plastic drive gear).  I think if I drill out the other side fromn where the break is I will end up with a round hole instead of a square one.

Has anybody fixed one of these with a round pin?  Will it hold up?  I'm sure I can get the 90 offset at least close and glue it all together.  Qny advice will be welcome.. Thanks.

Loco Bill Canelos

HI Howard

No I haven't done it on that loco, but I have had luck using epoxy on the pin which goes in the hole and then using epoxy putty, half inch on either side of the joint after you press the axles back together and remove the excess epoxy. I use very fine wire as a reinforcement imbedding it in the putty before it sets.   If you try this rough up the areas where the putty will go to get better bite. Also make sure any putty you add will clear any axle slots etc. Make sure that the pin you use is a tight fit.

Correct quartering is critical to success or everything will bind up.

I am sure there are other perhaps better ideas than mine, but it has worked for me.

If you do it I would not load down the loco with a lot of heavy cars.

Have fun,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!