News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0 DCC spectrum grade request

Started by kmcsjr, October 25, 2014, 09:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmcsjr

Any shot, thats on the list of upcoming locos?

Maletrain

I would buy one.  All-wheel-live-pick-up tender and back-up headlight on a sloped-back tender, please.

skipgear

If it gets upgraded to the current standards, expect the price to be upgraded also. Figure retail in the $150-175 range would be my best guess. A lot more than the $93 retail they are now.

The slope back is what they come with now and it is not the right tender for a USRA 0-6-0. I'm sure somewhere, somebody stuck one on but they came equipped with a USRA short tender. Many railroads swapped them out for a clear-view tender to improve visibility in their intended service, a yard switcher. If anything, I would like to see a clear-view tender on them. There have been two loco made over the years with a clear-view tender, the old Atlas IHB 0-8-0 and the Walthers 0-8-0. Walthers never offered them as parts, the Atlas is very old tooling with half axle pickup getting harder and harder to find.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

ryeguyisme

I see the N scale 0-6-0 hovering around $65 street price(current version), and with the new mogul hovering around $100, I wouldn't expect a spectrum quality 0-6-0 to go for more than that. The small motor from the mogul would make the 0-6-0 more aesthetically pleasing for everyone instead of having this open frame motor sticking 3 scale feet out the back of the cab. And the front tender pickup system is a drag vs. the wonderful spectrum wheelset power pickups.

I would be interested in buying this upgrade if it came to fruition

ACY

Quote from: ryeguyisme on October 27, 2014, 06:18:07 PM
I see the N scale 0-6-0 hovering around $65 street price(current version), and with the new mogul hovering around $100, I wouldn't expect a spectrum quality 0-6-0 to go for more than that.
The low price of the current 0-6-0 is $50 plus shipping. The new mogul has a low price of $120 plus shipping right now. However the mogul is not a spectrum locomotive, to make the 0-6-0 a spectrum you would have an MSRP around $200 which would be a "street price" as you call it of around $170 or maybe $150 if you got an extremely good deal. So you would be adding around $100-$120 to the "street price."

brokemoto

Many of the vendors have reported to me that they have a hard time keeping these things on the shelf, as they are.  It is amazing the improvement in performance that appears when you upgrade to the SPECTRUM tender of your choice.  The pulling power is tripled and the runnability shows a marked improvement due to better contact.

Given that it sells well, I am surprised that Bachpersonn has not upgraded it to DCC Onboard.  To do that would require use of the SPECTRUM tender.

Spookshow has, on his website, a tutorial for swapping out the stock tender for a SPECTRUM tender.  I ahd heard that B-mann was not pleased with the sales of the tenders and was going to discontinue them, but some remain in Bachmann's 2014 catalogue.

kmcsjr

I suppose I could go the do it myself route, but I'd rather wait until it has a hidden motor :)

ryeguyisme

I too, would like the hidden motor approach. .. spectrum or not, pricing is irrelevant here. The fact is there's a demand for an upgraded 0-6-0 and logical marketing would not put it priced higher than the mogul.

I've seen the 2-10-2's hovering around $150 so a street price of $170 sounds pretty far-fetched for a 0-6-0 IMHO

ACY

Quote from: ryeguyisme on October 29, 2014, 07:30:15 PM
I've seen the 2-10-2's hovering around $150 so a street price of $170 sounds pretty far-fetched for a 0-6-0 IMHO
MB Klein is generally the cheapest price online and they have never gone below $169.99 on the site and they are more commonly sold at a price of $253.99 when not on sale. The retail price of the 2-10-2 is $339.
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-N-Steam-Locomotive-p/bac-83352.htm

Even so it is extremely easy to just buy a Spectrum tender which Bachmann has made available for separate sale and swap it out for the other tender.

Further even if Bachmann did choose to make an 0-6-0 Spectrum, unless it is already in development (not likely), it would not be available for purchase until 2016 at the earliest unless the whole process was expedited, including having the product delivered by an air shipment instead of by boat, and putting everything else on the back burner. So you will have to wait 2 years just to get the locomotive if they do decide to make it.