News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC Sound revisited

Started by seanu, October 22, 2007, 02:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanu

I had posted a question a while back on this topic, but it got sidetracked. I am building an HO layout for a youngster (6yo). I have avoided using DCC to keep the costs and complexity down. I have done some research, and I'm looking for your expert opinions. Here are what appear to be my current options...

1) MRC Symphony 77 or 312 . Pros : lots of sounds, easy to use and hook up. No additional costs to layout besides the unit. Cons : No synchronized sound, no "from train" sound.

2) MRC Soundstation 210. Pros : Adds voltage based synchro sound. "from train" sound. Cons : Discontinued. Sound will probably go into 1 boxcar and 1 passenger car which would need to be on the active train.

3) MRC Soundgenerator 8000 . Pros voltage based synchro sound. Cons : Discontinued, limited sound.

4) MRC Sound Box. Can't find much info. Steam or Diesel sound module gets added to engine (i think). Does it only work with DCC ready engines?

At this point, I am leaning toward the MRC Symphony. I only have 1 dcc ready engine (out of a total of 4 engines). Can anyone provide feedback on these choices, or provide other options ( like a boxcar with built in sound etc).

Thanks - Sean

Jim Banner

I see that a gentleman on the Digitrax Yahoo group has selected an MRC Symphony 77 digital sound system as his best solution and that they are presently on sale at Walthers for $59.98.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

seanu

Thanks Jim... I'm not a member of that group, but I will check it out. I found the symphony 77 for $49 at nhs hobbies : http://www.nhshobbies.com/product_p/mrcaa555.htm

Sean