News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

need easy to make table legs

Started by Hobojim, October 16, 2007, 07:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobojim

hello all.. i have my 4x8 plywood board but now need legs for it.. my vision is not really good so the simpler the better..thanks for your time

Jonathan MacCormack

Hobojim,

One option is two saw horses. Cut legs to suit height required.

Jonathan

NelsOn-30

Hobojim
An expansion of Jonathan’s saw horse suggestion would be the use of the sheet metal fixtures that make a custom sized saw horse from 5 lengths of 2X4’s.
Another alternative, if the end height is suitable, would be the folding table legs available from Home Depot, Lowes or?
Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR

seanu

If you live near an Ikea store, check out their catalog. I just put together a Desk for my wife that came with legs that can be attached with 4 screws. They also have a leveling foot on them. I'm pretty sure you can purchase them without the desk top.

r.cprmier

If you use that 4X8 sheet of plywood without any framing under it, you will be begging for trouble; I don't care how good the legs are; that plywood is going to tend to flex because it can.  Put some framework on the under side.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich, I missed that.
Yes, fasten 1x2s along the edge and then two more across the table, dividing it into three equal blocks.  One and a quarter drywall screws will do a great job.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Hobojim

Hello , thanks for all the ideas and help i did get 2 steel saw horses the folding kind.. and noticed right away the plywood was not really stable so i framed it in with 1x3 every 18inches it dont move at all now ..
thanks again to all of you for your help...

r.cprmier

Jim;
Good, guy!  You have learned what could have been a terrible lesson the easy way.  As you go on, you will learn more, but might I suggest perusing the many books, articles, etc, out there that will cover this hobby  from A-Z.
THis hobby, like electronics, is a cumulative one, and the knowledge gained from learning will always be re-applied in other areas and other times.

Gene;
I finally am finished with the second Santa Fe, and in the process of "customizing" it (why do I feel like I am doing a '57 Chevy) wound up re-doing a lot of the first job.  I will paint probably this weekend.

Rich
Rich

SteamGene

Rich,
That Santa Fe is as in "2-10-2", right?
Gene.
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Yessuh! I should have been more explicite; modelling the Santa Fe might be construed as being a rather lofty endeavour...

RIch
Rich

SteamGene

Well, if you got the Smithsonian to give you the whole floor of one of its buildings, you might get the Santa Fe in N scale!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Hobojim

Hi Rich,

Thanks for all the help.. i know there are many great books out there however i have  eye problems witch makes it a real challange to do the modeling as far as reading goes i use a 10x close up lens as i have not been able to find a 10x magnifire.. so please be understanding when i ask dumb questions from time to time... my eyes left i see hand motion right i see 20/ 70 with double vision a lot of the time.... anyway thanks to all who help...
Hobo Jim

r.cprmier

I think Gene, Sheldon, Hunt, Bob, etc, will all join me in saying there is no such thing as a dumb question, unless it is one that went unasked.

There is software that might possibly help.  A friend of mine is a headhunter, and is legally blind.  he uses a large computer screen and some software.  I am unfamiliar with it, but it is worth checking out, if it will ultimately help you out.

Rich
Rich

Hobojim

Hello if possible could you get the name of the software he uses...
also how hard is it to replace couplers on cars and engines??
Hobojim

SteamGene

Replacing couplers on cars is fairly easy for most brands.  Engines vary with the engine, some are easy, some difficult, others darn near impossible. 
You can find a magnifying lense on a suppot.  I have a lighted one I use.  It only cost some $20 or so - though I guess it's close to ten years old now.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat