News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Single Motor 44 tonner DCC Decoder

Started by gregw66, September 05, 2014, 12:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregw66

Bachmann has just repaired my two motor 44 tonner by replacing the chassis with a single motor chassis. I know the new 44 tonner is DCC equipped but the repair guy stated the replacement would not come with DCC. What decoder is best for this unit?

richg

Sounds like you will get a DCC ready. Since the Bach-Man said Bachmann sells decoders. Look below.

Bachmann has a decoder for the 44 ton that comes with a PC board for $65.00. You can get a universal decoder from Bachmann for $35.00. Cut the plug off and solder the wires to the PC board in your 44 tonner.
I am sure others will comment.

Rich

Bucksco

Don't forget about Bachmann decoders (non-sound) and SoundTraxx (sound decoders)....

jward

due to the small size of the 44tonner, I would look into an n or z scale decoder. they are much smaller, and should fit better.

that said, I have not found that much of a difference in  quality between decoders of different manufacturers. imho, you are probably better off adding your own decoder to the locomotive, as sometimes factory installed decoders don't support all the basic settings cv2 through cv6 which control start, mid and top voltage, and acceleration and deceleration rates. any decoder I buy must support those 5 cvs at a minimum.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ALCO0001

Rich,
Seems if your going to put that kind of effort to make it dcc, you might want to just go for a micro Tumani for it to have some sound and some great motor control.A friend of mine did this with 70 tonner since it uses the same motor .
Jack

richg

Quote from: ALCO0001 on September 11, 2014, 10:34:58 AM
Rich,
Seems if your going to put that kind of effort to make it dcc, you might want to just go for a micro Tumani for it to have some sound and some great motor control.A friend of mine did this with 70 tonner since it uses the same motor .
Jack

I put the LokSound Micro into my two 44 tonners a few years ago. Same with the 70 tonner.

Rich

ALCO0001

macbmac1

Hello:

I also installed a LokSound Select micro into the 44 tonner, after researching quite a bit on the web.  Runs and sounds great---just do a web search -- multiple sites come up.

Mike
Pahrump, NV   

electrical whiz kid

I own several 44-ton engines.  Most are from Bachmann, and run beautifully, but they were not DCC equipped, so I have to install decoders.  I also have one from Keystone, which I had built long before Bachmann catalogued theirs.  While it is an excellent running locomotive, I had attempted to install a decoder.  Not wanting to go overboard, it was a standard basic NCE job I had kicking around.  Forget about it!!!  I almost ruined a locomotive in my "in-vain" attempt.  Now it stays allocated to the car-float operation.
Rich C.