New -- Bachmann E-Z App Wireless Train Control System

Started by Hunt, October 29, 2014, 02:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunt

Click Here to view Jack Lynch of Bachmann demos their new E-Z App Wireless Train Control System in partnership with BlueRail Trains.

Hunt

WoundedBear

So, is this basically the same thing MTH just announced? Is it compatible with theirs? Is theirs compatible with yours? Is NMRA going to make a "standard" for Bluetooth device control ?

Sid

Bucksco

No it is not the same thing as MTH has announced. The MTH product uses WiFi to transmit to the loco. This means you need to use a WiFi router and their track interface box in order to communicate with the Loco - it sends signals through the track. The new Bachmann app utilizes Bluetooth 4 technology to send an RF signal directly to the Bluetooth chip located in the locomotive. No peripherals needed and no chance of signal degradation due to dirty track, etc....
Bachmann EZ App is a software based system that has great potential for expansion.

Ken G Price

This seems to be a real next level advancement. Not just a few upgrades.

Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Bucksco

Comparing it to DCC it is like comparing your old land line telephone to an iPhone....
Imagine a world without CVs...

Hunt

Quote from: Yardmaster on October 31, 2014, 10:27:33 PM
Comparing it to DCC it is like comparing your old land line telephone to an iPhone....
. . .

I do not see that as a valid comparison for the 2015 E-Z App Wireless Train Control System  product. Perhaps in a future E-Z App product.

The 2015 E-Z App product as announced seems to be an excellent alternate choice for the person who otherwise would have to use DCC to have control of two or more locomotives independent of where they are on track or direction of travel. 

How does one consist locomotives using the announced E-Z App Wireless Train Control System?

Hunt

Will a E-Z App circuit board for the locomotive be sold separately by Bachmann or Blue Rail Trains?

Bucksco

The product is still in the software development stage and it will be capable of doing way more than just controlling multiple engines on the same loop of track. And yes you will be able to consist engines. Bachmann will decide about selling separate boards when the product is closer to actual release.

Joe323

I believe Bachmann did say a separate module for older trains would be available.

jonmuse

I think this is probably the biggest and most sensible leap in model train tech in a lot of years. Though I'm not an HO modeler I'm excited for future application to O and especially G

Cheers

Hunt

The first release of E-Z App features the sound from the speaker in the Bluetooth Smart supported device.  I believe having a quality speaker on board the locomotive would increase interest in the E-Z App Wireless Train Control system.

rogertra

The next step in advanced train control will come when batteries are small enough, which they are already but when they will be able to hold a charge for over an hour and both power the locomotive and sound.  We are not quite at that stage yet.

Control will be wireless and the locomotive batteries will be recharged through the rails in places like engine terminals.

Imagine.  No more wiring to the track, no more short circuits, no more stalling on frogs as they can carry no power, steel rails that can realistically rust, etc., etc..  The benefits will be tremendous for scale modellers.

Cheers

Roger T.

James in FL

I contacted BlueRailTrains directly which anyone can do, here;

http://www.bluerailtrains.com/contact.cfm

I specifically asked about consisting and speed matching locos.

Sender Details:
Name: James xxxxxxxx
Email: xxxxxxxxxx@aol.com
how accurately locos can be speed matched for consisting

This is the reply I received today;

"James,

Sorry for the late reply.  We actually have our first version of lashup functioning today. I am running 2 locos right now as a consist, and the speed matching is great.

Thanks for your survey.  This is how we decide what features to support first.

Dave Rees"

Dcc has always been out of the question for me, as I have upwards of 90 locos.

I am seriously looking at this new system.  If it's what it says it will be, I see it as a very economical alternative to DCC.
Alas; I am an N scaler and it maybe another year for me.

Hence my next question;

" How long till we see this in N Scale?"

I will post the reply when received.

jward

I have several questions
1. is this system compatible with traditional dc?
2. the promotional flyer states no special equipment is needed. how is the track powered?
3. does this system require a constant voltage on the rails ala dcc?
4. how does this system deal with possible electrical or rf interference?
5. have you considered an android version?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA