Norfolk southern heritage sd70ace Frame Defect for the Bachmann

Started by ALCO0001, October 31, 2014, 07:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALCO0001

Hello,
Have a few of the new sd70ace heritage diesels and the body leans due to the frame not being drilled out deep enough at the truck pins and it does not stay centered ,rather it leans to one side or the other on all 5 of them and I checked the parts catalog and the frame is not available. This problem creates a bad jurk to either side when it is starting its pull and every time the throttle is changed along with a coupler height mismatch.Should I send them all back for a return refund or are they going to have the corrected frame available soon ?
???Jack

ALCO0001

??? 250 reads on this post and no answers here?Well ?

Jerrys HO

I am just trying to figure out why you are having so many issues with yours and your other one's.
I have not heard of the problem with the SD70"s but would like to see if anyone else is.

ACY

Quote from: Jerrys HO on October 31, 2014, 06:33:20 PM
I am just trying to figure out why you are having so many issues with yours and your other one's.
I have not heard of the problem with the SD70"s but would like to see if anyone else is.
I have 3 of them and have not had any issues at all. They could pull better but that isn't really an issue.

ALCO0001

Hello,
I fixed the height issue on all of them by shaving down the truck pin , but that leaves a large gap between the worm gear cover rods that hold the truck in, and the frame.Maybe needs a shim and that would take care of the tipping where that torque to the wheels is lost.You know tip the frame and body rather then spin the gears to turn the wheel .I was thinking of a spring at the truck pin to surround the bolster or a o-ring that I believe would make a wider bolster to stop the tip.These things have a lot of torque, but it is not getting to the wheel because of this . I like these engines ,but with these issues it makes a possible great diesel by Bachmann WITH ALL THERE EFFORTS Disappointing that if they were caught before they left the production line a good engine could have been great .But with some ideas this can be fixed to make them what they should be. So what do you think IDEAS?

Jack

ALCO0001

Anybody know if replacement frames are going to be available for the run of the SD70S AND ES44 AC HERITAGE UNITS? with the bad frames that were not drilled out properly at the truck pins since the enlarged shallow hole that the truck pin rides in??
Jack