News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New F7A technical information?

Started by JRG1951, January 18, 2012, 05:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRG1951

I have just purchased a pair of Bachmann F7A Locos. I have been unable to find a listing or any parts information for these units on this site. These have a different frame and motor than the FT units I have.

These were in the new Bachmann blue boxes, so I assume they are recent production products.
What is the history of these units and why is there no information available for parts.

I find bachmann technical information interesting, because when a product goes out of production, it appears that bachmann never ever had the product.

I have two Santa Fe 4-8-4 northerns that I have detailed and custom painted. Keeping these older units running has been a challenge. No parts are listed for the older production engines, and I am unwilling to part with the custom details, paint, and coupler modification. Therefore sending them back for replacement is not an option.  I buy used engines and parts to keep the old locos on the road.

An old parts list archive on this web site would be of great help in identifying old parts from outdated products. This technical information would help owners to buy and sell parts to keep our valued engines on the road.

*******************************************************************************************
By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right,  he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
Charles Wadsworth

richg

Bachmann likes to delete diagrams.
I sometimes wonder if any of the employees are model railroaders?
Go to the below link and see if anything is there.

http://www.hoseeker.net/lit.html

I would suggest to any here with locomotive diagram to scan them into their PC and upload them to Larry at HO Seeker. I have done that for the diagrams I have.
This is a big advantage to the model railroad community.

Rich

JRG1951

Rich,
Thanks for the Link, it will be very useful.
I will try to round up any diagrams that I have that the site doesn't.
Thanks,
John

JRG1951

Well it is almost 2 years since I posted the original post. The Bachmann line of engines has improved in many respects. they are a very good value in today's market. The parts and support have improved. The old standby Athearn has become the not in stock supplier for parts and engines.

These improvements have lead me to decide to use the Bachmann F-unit drives in my current roster of engines. I will start to replace my current Athearn F-Unit drives with the newer 8-wheel Bachmann drives. My newer engines will be Bachmanns. I have a number of EMC FTs and plan to purchase ALCO S1 and S2 diesels that will fit my WWII era well.

Regards, John **********************

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else. <> Sir Winston Churchill