Tsunami Steam TSU-1000, Bachmann Industries Plug and Play module, on G scale?

Started by trainstrainstrains, November 02, 2014, 08:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainstrainstrains

Good Sunday morning to everyone.
I am coming around to wanting quality sound but I still think the loco should cost more than the sound!

Soundtraxx Tsunami Steam TSU-1000 Sound Decoder Light Logging.
Is it possible to install this on a Bachmann Spectrum G scale 36 ton Shay? If so are there instructions on how? I suppose a speaker and SOUNDTRAXX 810038 STEAM EXHAUST CAM KIT are necessary? What else would be necessary? Would this installation be advisable?

Soundtraxx Tsunami Steam TSU-1000 Sound Decoder D&RGW K-Class --or-- Bachmann Industries Plug and Play module for locomotive car meant for small gauge.
Is it possible to install these on a G scale  LGB car? If so are there instructions on how? I suppose a speaker and SOUNDTRAXX 810038 STEAM EXHAUST CAM KIT are necessary for the TSU-1000? What else would be necessary? Would these installations be advisable?

Kevin Strong

The Tsunami will not work as a standalone sound system. You need DCC control to make it work. If you're planning on using Airwire to run your trains, then you can use the DCC booster output on the Airwire board to trigger the sounds, but that's about the only way other than running it via DCC for it to work for you.

If you were to go DCC, then the Tsunami will not be powerful enough for the Shay. It's rated at 1 amp, which would be fine for small locos like an 0-4-0 or similar that would pull fairly short trains. Usually, you're going to want a decoder rated at 3 amps or better, which--with sound--puts you into the $200 price range for the sound/motor decoder.

Quote...I am coming around to wanting quality sound but I still think the loco should cost more than the sound!
That--to me--is not the right way to look at things. Sound can play a significant role in how the viewer perceives a model and experiences a railroad. Quality sound brings any locomotive to life, regardless of how much or how little the loco costs. I've never heard anyone tell me "Gee, I wish that locomotive didn't sound that good." (By the same token, bad sound makes any locomotive appear to be very toylike, regardless of how well-detailed it is.)

You can get good sound inexpensively. If you're looking at the Tsunami (a $100 board), then you might consider the Dallee electronics sound boards ($100 - $110). MyLocoSound (according to the most recent GR) has just re-done their sound boards as well for improved realism, and they're around $80. Both of these work on "traditional" track-powered DC environments, and can also be controlled via battery R/C control systems. You might also be able to find an older Sierra sound board for around $100. They're very good, too.

Don't fall into the trap of using the price of a locomotive as the determining factor for what electronics you put into it. Ultimately, you want your locomotive to run and sound good. If it doesn't, then it's not worth whatever price you paid for it. I just figure $300 into the cost of any locomotive for sound and remote control. I know I can add that to a $50 locomotive and have it run and sound every bit as good as a $1000 locomotive.

Later,

K