News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-0 Decapod

Started by bosun, November 03, 2014, 06:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bosun

Hi,

I have a 2-10-0 Russian decapod with a possibly burnt out motor.

I can't figure out how to get at the motor. I have removed the contact strip and every screw I can find, but still can't remove wheels, cylinders or get to the motor to replace it.

What am I missing?

All the best,

Art

rogertra

Bachmann ?Russian? 2-10-0 Disassembly

Here's one method.

1.   Unscrew pony truck assembly being careful not to lose the spring.

2.   Gently pull the grate shakers free from the frame under both sides of the cab.

3.   Remove the drawbar and the screw up through the cylinder saddle freeing the boiler assembly.

4.   Use a very thin screwdriver or knife blade to gently pry the cab free while jiggling it back and forth.  Look for the little tabs at the front corners of the cab that will release with a little pressure.

5.   Now remove any of the piping detail from the boiler that looks as though it will interfere with the boiler removal.  Can?t be more helpful as this varies by model.

6.   It should now be possible to very gently lift the boiler from the chassis.  Look carefully for any boiler details that may get hung up.  The boiler subassembly includes the motor, drive screw, upper plastic shell, metal boiler bottom and running boards.

7.   To free the shell from the weighted base, carefully lift off the running boards and separate the shell from the motor housing and weight.  The front firebox wall, under the boiler, needs to be pulled forward and removed to fully release the motor housing.

That should be it.

Just take your time.

Cheers
Roger Traviss

Trainman203

You might consider a different motor.  I have three that a tech guy remotored for me and they now can take 12 or more cars up a 2 percent grade, 3 times better than before.

bosun

Hello again and thanks for the reply. The locomotive I have is a Spectrum small boiler 2-10-0. Built during WW1 for Russia, some were never delivered after the revolution and remained in the US as "Russian Decapods".

Roger, are these instructions for a different Bachmann locomotive? I have trouble right from the start. I can't find the grate shakers to remove and there is no screw through the cylinder saddle. The cab has little tabs at the rear corners!

Am I missing something still? Thanks for you help.

All the best,

Art

Irbricksceo

There is deifantly a screw through the cylinder saddle however each model was slightly different. I have the NYSW version, same as the erie version. It is a pain to get apart. I once managed it, barely, but I had to snip a lot of the piping. Honestly, I couldn't tell you how.
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

Quote from: bosun on November 08, 2014, 05:18:39 PM
Hello again and thanks for the reply. The locomotive I have is a Spectrum small boiler 2-10-0. Built during WW1 for Russia, some were never delivered after the revolution and remained in the US as "Russian Decapods".

Roger, are these instructions for a different Bachmann locomotive? I have trouble right from the start. I can't find the grate shakers to remove and there is no screw through the cylinder saddle. The cab has little tabs at the rear corners!

Am I missing something still? Thanks for you help.

All the best,

Art

It came in two versions IIRC.

Remove the screw from under the front that goes up into the steam chest (that's between the cylinders). The ends of the ladders from the pilot deck have two plastic tabs that fit into the boiler at the walkway. Pull straight out from the side to release these tabs.

Remove the drawbar screw and drawbar, which makes it easier to get to the other screw under the cab. Slide the frame back and down and the frame and drivers should come out easily.

Try that.

Cheers

Roger T.

bosun

Well, thanks to you all, I got the locomotive open right down to the motor. It was surprising how much wriggling, twisting and prying was involved. I only cut piping twice. There was no need to remove the driver contact strip.

Now to find a new motor. I'm in the UK so NWSL will be expensive (import duty and VAT). The motor has written on it "Bühler 07 1 37" and has a two diameter flywheel. I think I might try Branchlines in the UK.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Art

rogertra

May be been easier and cheaper to send it back to Bachmann USA (Check if you could send it Bachmann UK) and pay their fee, if you do not have a warranty.  Not sure how much the repair fee is but it's not that expensive and have them repair it.

Cheers

Roger T.

BillD53A

The part department shows they have the motors in stock, and they only cost 4 dollars.  Contact them, a replacement may be easier to get than you think. 

bosun

Bill, I will check the parts department. Is there a phone number or is it just email?

Roger, UK Bachmann does not deal with USA Bachmann. I guess they don't have the parts. Anyway the loco is in pieces now!

I only asked about another motor as Trainman203 suggested this in the thread.

Thanks again,

Art

BillD53A

The parts e-mail is parts@bachmanntrains.com.  They might be able to help you more.