News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Increase Volume of Big Hauler

Started by chieffan, November 03, 2014, 07:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chieffan

Is there any way to get louder sound out of the older Big Haulers?  Even with hearing aids when the engine get 4' past me I don't hear it any more.  Is there an amplifier that can be installed in the tender and connected to the sound board and a larger speaker to get some SOUND out of these engines ? ?  Thanks much for all you guy and your great ideas and problem solvers.
Chieffan

Joe Zullo

Try a new battery in the tender and/or the hearing aids.  ::)

Joe Satnik

cf,

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#sound

You may have a newer version of the board, but these tips should still apply. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

chieffan

Have tried different brands of NEW batteries in the tender.  I don't need advise on how to control my hearing aids, at least not from this site.
Chieffan

chieffan

Thanks for that link Joe.  I have a print out of that article in my file but I did not see where it increased the volume, just the quality and chuff from 2 to 4.  Will do those this winter and see what happens.  Have a good day.   ::)
Chieffan

Loco Bill Canelos

Chieffan,

I am not a electronics guy, but I am thinking that to increase the sound volume you probably need to some how get a more powerful amplifier to install in the circuit.   The speaker in the loco is suitable for a higher amp level.  I have installed aftermarket sound systems using the speaker.

As far as that goes my aftermarket sound systems do have a much higher sound  volume than the stock system, and you would get the bell and whistle as well.   If you have a local Garden railroad club you might be able to visit and check out the actual sounds of the various brands of sound systems.  Some systems start around $80, but I have no idea how high you can crank them up volume wise.

Best of luck finding a solution.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

chieffan

Thanks Loco Bill for that information.  I wondered just how much one could apply to the stock speaker before it blew.  I wonder if an additional amplifier connected between the present speaker and the board would work ? ?

This is a used Big Hauler so the board may be the problem also.  Will do some checking with other, if I can find them in this "remote" area of the country.  Have a good day. ;)
Chieffan

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

To my ears the stock BH chuff system's lack of bass is more of a problem than lack of overall volume. (Poor EQ.)  

A larger speaker, or the same size speaker with a heavier magnet, may increase the efficiency and bass, thus the perceived loudness.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone has ever taken lab measurements of the tender and its speaker, with the intent of making a tuned-port bass box out of the two....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_reflex

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

chieffan

::)  You got me thinking there Joe.  I can usually hear the base tones real good but if they are not there ? ? ?  I have a heavy speaker magnet from a high quality speaker that came with an audio system we bought at an auction.  Mouse made the speaker box his home and chewed through both cones.  I may try putting that magnet on the back of the original magnet and see what happens.   Sure can't hurt anything and if it works - a cheep fix. ??? :-\
Chieffan

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Try putting a baffle around the speaker to help with the sound, use something like the cardboard core from a roll of tape (or roll your own out of thinner cardboard than on a roll of tape).  I know this worked on an O scale engine I have.  A bit of hot glue to hold it in place and you're good to go!

BobD.

chieffan

I haven't been inside the tender as yet so don't know how the speaker is set up.  When I did HO sound installs  I always built an enclosure around the back of the speaker to get the sound out the front.  also run the speaker up through the coal load a lot of times to get the sound going up rather than down.  On diesels I would run the sound out through the cooling fan.  Will have to dig into the tender and see what gives.  Thanks for the reminder. ???
Chieffan

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I opened my Annie I recently bought and it doesn't have a baffle, I'll probably put one in it once I get back working on it.

Bob D.

NarrowMinded

I didn't read all the posts so excuse this if its a repeat.

To get more sound you can open up the slots in front of the speaker under the tender.

Nm-Jeff

chieffan

I am also thinking of mounting the speaker under the coal load with a ton of holes drilled through the load.  this would put the sound up - where our ears are.  Not down where it is absorbed in the ballast, ground etc. before we get a chance to hear it.  Might get into that in the morning if something else don't get in my way  ???
Chieffan

NarrowMinded

I have done the holes in the coal load on on30 and it made the sound cleaner.