News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

BRIGHT Headlights

Started by chieffan, November 04, 2014, 05:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chieffan

This spring I wanted a brighter headlight in my Bug Hauler as well as an F7.  The small LED I used in HO scale was not going to do the trick.  All Electronics had a package of 4 - 5mm bright white LED's I had purchased some time ago.

The 5mm was the right size for installing inside the head lamp assemble on the Big Hauler.   I took the engine apart in the usual manor.  Cut the wires leading to the head lamp bulb at their source.  Removed the bulb, reflector and everything else that went with it.   The cover lens goes in from the front and that was pushed out and saved.  The LED was put in place and centered in the housing and hot glued in place.  2 wires were run from the LED through the boiler and to the back of the cab.  I used a 2 cell AAA battery holder and two batteries for the power source.  I put a micro mini toggle switch in the top of the cab and painted it black.  Hardly noticeable.  Connected the switch in line with one led on the LED.  The battery holder was stuck to the under side of the roof with double backed tape.  Had to add an extra piece in the center to offset the curve of the roof.  Replaced the lens in the front of the headlamp assembly.    I now have a bright white headlight in bright sun light and at night it lights up the track for several feet in front of the engine.  The batteries run all summer and are still good today.

My F7 a is also reworked this way and my SW 1 is next.  ;D

Chieffan