Bachmann C 19 2-8-0 versus Aristocraft C 16 2-8-0

Started by trainstrainstrains, November 05, 2014, 08:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Yarbrough

I do not run the C-16 with Accucraft or Bachmann Spectrum 1:20 scale cars. Loco is way to small. I do use Aristo Classic, LGB, Bachmann, and USA woodsided cars with it. I also use the Aristo Sierra passenger cars (1:29 scale) with the C-16 and they look fine, as does Bachmann Jackson-Sharpe passenger cars. I do use my Bachmann 'Annie's' with the 1:20 scale freight cars and they look acceptable to me.

Ted Yarbrough

You are correct that the C-19 and your Shay are same scale. C-19 is still longer than the Shay, partially because of the tender. What looks good to you with the Shay would likely look well with the C-19, but remember the longer tender.

trainstrainstrains

Thanks so much everyone, I guess that now that I know the Aristo C 16 is smallish, I've lost interest, I still think its the most beautiful locomotive of all, I wish someone would make a bigger one, as for the Bachmann C 19 , I'll have to wait, I could not find one new or old at a price comparable to what I can buy a mint Aristo C 16, ($250).
I've become a G scale addict so quickly , going from 0 to 4 locomotives,  12 cars and 22 yards of brass rails in about 40 days. I think its time to slow down.  I've recently discovered the importance and unexpected extra large expense of sound, which I was not counting on. I think instead of buying either the Aristo C 16 or Bachmann C 19,  I will try to repair the chassis of my Swanee River 4 6 0 and buy a new 4 6 0 shell from Bachmann, that way with little expense I will have one more 4 6 0 . The new challenge being getting a new drive wheel  for the engine and learning how to install it. Any help with the new project much appreciated.

Ted Yarbrough

The C-16 is a very good loco, it is just small for 1:20 scale cars and other locos. It does well with Bachmann's freight and passenger 'Big Hauler' cars.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I've been reading this topic and got curious so...

From what I found on the internet, the C16 is 25.75" long, the C19 is 32" long.  If my math is correct that's a 20% difference in length.

I looked in my copy of Richard Prince's book on the Seaboard Air Line to compare the lengths of 2-8-0s SAL had.  SALs 2-8-0s were a more modern class of engine than the C16/19 engines.

Their 2-8-0s have nothing in common with either the C16 or C19, but the difference in lengths is what prompted me to post.

The SAL class H 2-8-0s were approx 61 feet long from pilot to rear coupler (61 ft=30.5" in 1/24 scale)

SAL class H2 2-8-0s were approx 71 feet long from pilot front to rear coupler (71 ft=35.5" in 1/24 scale).

Again, if my math is correct, that's a 14% difference in length.

The heights were almost the same for the SAL engines.

I guess what I'm saying is that differences in length would be normal, different classes = different sizes.

Does anyone know what the actual lengths were of the prototype C16 and C19?  I tried, but didn't find anything.

Bob D.

Ted Yarbrough

Remember, in real life, standard gauge locos  appear super-sized to narrow gauge locos of the same wheel arrangements. If you search for videos of narrow gauge locos on the Cumbres & Toltec, you will find double headers with loco 463 (K-27) and other k-series (K-36) you will see the difference in size of these 2-8-2 locos, Also some video out there of 315 (C-18) and 463 (K-27) running together. So, there are different size locos in real life. Run what looks good to you.

Chuck N

In the book "Rio Grande Narrow Gauge" by John B. Norwood are drawings of the C-16 and C-19.  The length of the C-16 front coupler to tender coupler is 49' 6 1/8".  The similar length of the C-19 is 51' 2 5/8".  

The 20% difference you calculated is the difference in the two scales; 1:20.3 and 1:24.

Most of the difference in the length of the engines is in the engine.  C-16 is 26.5' long and the C-19 is 28.2' long, back of footplate to front coupler.

Chuck

Note added

The lengths of the D&RGW Mikados (2-8-2) are as follows, engine and tender:

K-27  58' 9 5/8"
K-28  62' 9 1/2"
K-36  68' 0 3/4"
K-37  65' 2 15/16"

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Thanks guys!

Here's one spot I found that has some basic drawings and dimensions of the C16 and C19 classes:

http://www.ghostdepot.com/rg/rolling%20stock/locomotive/drgw1939roster.htm

Bob D.

trainstrainstrains

I think I've just gone crazy, I write and sincerely believe I must slow down with this G scale addiction and I go and place a bid for an Aristo Craft 2-8-8-2 Mallet and I'm sure someone will surely place a higher bid than mine, (330)  but they don't.  So I win, I want to share this with you all because I consider you my real friends in this. I'm writing this in this thread  It belongs in another thread that is older, since nobody will read it there I post here also. It will be a while till I receive the bigest strongest loco I'l ever buy so if anyone knows it's dimensions please tell me.

Chuck N

Congratulations, It is a great engine.

The engine is 28 inches long and the tender is 18 inches long.  It is big.  It is one of my favorite 1:29 locomotives. It will require large diameter curves, 8 or 10' minimum diameter.

Since this is a Bachmann site, I suggest that you join Mylargescale.com and ask questions about it there.  There are other large scale sites out there in addition to MLS.  I'm active there.

In my opinion, your Bachmann Big Hauler 1:24 cars will look fine behind it.  I pull an Adult Beverage (Beer Cars) train behind it.  The cars are all the same size as the Big Hauler Box cars.

Here are a couple of pictures of my Mallet pulling an Iron Ore train.  The batteries and R/C are in the Box car behind the tender.  That car is the same size as the Big Hauler Box cars.  Pictures at a friends layout here in Virginia.

Here are a couple of pictures of it with the beer train.  All the cars are 1:24.  You can see that they go well with the engine.

These were taken at the Adobe Mt. Railroad Park layout in North Phoeniz, Az.

Chuck

trainstrainstrains

Great stuff, can't wait!  Will join the other forum, hope they are as friendly as you all are!

Chuck N

Most are very friendly.  There are however a few who get upset on occasion when their suggestions aren't taken as the only option.  There are a lot of active members, it won't take long to get used to the personalities.

There are some names you will recognize from this site.

Chuck

PS  Just remember that in this hobby there are no, almost no, absolutes.  Every ones location and experience, likes and dislikes are different.  At MLS you are likely to get more answers than you get here.  They will often conflict.  You will have to pick and choose what you think will work for you and your local climate. 

The only absolute that I know of is that our trains, for the most of us, run on rails that are 45mm apart.  Other than that, it is ultimately up to you to do what you want.

trainstrainstrains

Of the three train brands I now have, Bachmann is my favorite, I admire LGB for its history and typical german high quality, Aristo-Craft is to me a dinosaur,  defunct and fascinating and as such no competition  to eider Bachmann or LGB.  BACHMANN as you are all aware is big in many ways, size of products, quantity of products,  affordability , service and amount of parts. Bachmann has also many interesting models. So I guess I'll be posting here again.

trainstrainstrains

Tried to tegister in Mylargescale.com register sends me to the main page where again register ....?

trainstrainstrains

I was doing something wrong,  I've registered now.