Bachmann HO 81608 Spectrum USRA Light 4-8-2 (adding sound)

Started by pds1506, October 16, 2007, 03:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pds1506

Someone posted a note about adding a MRC Sound DCC Decoder to this locomotive.  Is adding one as easy as plugging it in?  Will it work with the Bachmann EZ Command and will the sounds coordinate with what the locomotive is doing (such as moving forward)?  Let me have some advice as I never thought of doing this.  I have worked with regular DCC decoders but did not know sound could be as easy as just plugging it in.  Let me know if I am missing something.  Thanks.

SteamGene

I've found that the MRC sound decoders, when they work are excellent.  I haven't tried the current release, but the Brilliance were easy to install in a Bachmann steamer. 
Remove the coal load from the bunker
drill  small hole in the bunker slope sheet. 
Separate speaker from decoder. 
Install decoder, put seaker in bunker after threading spearker wires through hole. 
connect speaker to decoder.
Check for functioning.

Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

DaveS

It was adivce from SteamGene that helped me do my first install as I mentioned in my first post. Thanks Gene!
It was very easy to do just as he says. I used a mini-steam #1639. You can even chose from 10 or so different whistles.
However I don't think you can change CV's with EZ Command.
I also got help from the Saskatoon Railroad Modellers web site. Just look for the info on doing a decoder install in a Consolidation.
I got restarted in the hobby after a 45 year interval a little over a year ago.
I took out my Penn Line Consolidation out of storage, oiled it and did run but it is a rather crude loco compared to those now. I thought I would just
stick with DC but then I bought a sound loco and from then the conversion to sound and DCC started. For me it brings the whole layout to life.
Again thanks to those on this forum for all the help you didn't realize you were giving me.

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"