RR shops and/or points of interest

Started by Mike, October 18, 2007, 10:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I have to be in Palm Springs, CA, for a convention the week of the end of October and the beginning of November. Does anyone have some ideas for good railroad places to go nearby during short (2-4 hour) breaks? (Hobby shops and/or rail fan sites).  Also, I'll have one weekend half day available. Any ideas would be appreciated. - Mike S.

peterherron

Great idea Mike.  I have the same situation for Baltimore MD.  I know about the B & O museum, any ideas of a good RR Hobby Shop in the area?

Peter

ebtnut

M.B. Klien is on the east edge of downtown Baltimore at 162 Gay St.  About a half-hour down I-95 is Peach Creek Shops on All Saints Road in Laurel, MD.

jsmvmd

Dear Mike,

Fontana, CA, about 1.5 hours from PS has a live steam club.  You can watch or ride about 1 mile of track. At least this was in 1980.

This turned up, but it might be too far from Palm Springs.

http://www.lals.org/index.html

You might try a search for Fontana, CA and see what you get.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

Jack

Paul W.

Peter,
How much time do you have to spend? Correct, the B&O museum is a great place to visit, but depending on how much time you have, there are many places not too far away. Western MD, Strasburg, EBT, Wilmington & Western. If you end up with several hours, Mitchells Hobby is located in Wilmington, Del. They have ALOT of train items, Strasburg also has several hobby shops, one at the RR, and another at the Choo Choo Barn (which has a large "O" layout running).

Good luck!
Happy Steamin'

Paul